Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

BLM land and aggressive sheep dogs

Colorado kid

Has anyone experienced this.....

Myself and Adrock spent a tone of time and energy between us scouting a chunk of BLM land, in Colorado, in preparation of archery elk season. We then spent the entire opening weekend being chased off by 7 Anitolian Shepherds as well as watching them chase off 2 legal bulls the night before season opened. How can this be on public land?...."our land"?

Any insight would be very appreciated!!

Isn't that awesome? Iv'e had more issues with herders big ass white dogs than bears and lions combined in CO's Mountains. It's very frustrating. I pack a .40 cal, and not because I am worried about the wildlife.

Regarding the dogs chasing the elk, the game warden would find that very interesting. Most of us have have smart phones with cameras. Use them. At very least I would report it to the local warden.

Isn't that awesome? Iv'e had more issues with herders big ass white dogs than bears and lions combined in CO's Mountains. It's very frustrating. I pack a .40 cal, and not because I am worried about the wildlife.

Regarding the dogs chasing the elk, the game warden would find that very interesting. Most of us have have smart phones with cameras. Use them. At very least I would report it to the local warden.

I took several picture and a video. Didn't manage to get them chasing off the elk though. The funny thing is that the whole area is supposed to be a "wildlife study" area. Or so the posted signs would lead us to believe. I'll find the area warden and let him or her know. I had planned on going to the BLM office as well.

I took several picture and a video. Didn't manage to get them chasing off the elk though. The funny thing is that the whole area is supposed to be a "wildlife study" area. Or so the posted signs would lead us to believe. I'll find the area warden and let him or her know. I had planned on going to the BLM office as well.

I definitely would. I don't know if the BLM has a complaint you can file or what. If your having a hard time tracking down the warden during non business hours you can call the sheriff for the county your in and the will route you to him or her. I'm going to shoot you a PM.

I've ran into this. And I'm sure it'll ruffle some feather but a sheriff deputy told me you have every right to protect yourself however you see fit.

Would it be any different if there was a bull in that section of BLM that ran you off??

good luck to all
the dog

Yes...a bull (i assume you mean cattle and not a bull elk) would not have ran our quarry off and blown out the entire area by hysterically barking and growling at every living thing that wasn't a sheep. A bull is not required to be put on a leash and a bull is not trained to be aggressive by a human. A bull will not effect the natural echo system of the area other than eating more than his fair share. Seven 100lb dogs are a predatory pack and drastically change the environment they are in when allowed to roam free at will.

If they were threatening me there would have been less than seven before i got done unloading on them and it would be within my rights to do so just like the GW stated!!

If they were threatening me there would have been less than seven before i got done unloading on them and it would be within my rights to do so just like the GW stated!!

The dogs, barking and growling, came in from several different directions but stopped short of getting closer than about 15 ft. This encounter happened more than once in our 3 days out there. I was fairly certain they wouldn't have actually attacked but we had arrows knocked and ready. I'll most likely be carrying a hand gun while hunting as a result of this encounter.

I'm not sure what the rules are in CO, but if you see dogs chasing wildlife here in MN you can legally shoot the dog. The rules do change once the deer season starts, then only a game warden can shoot them, but the rest of the year, it's open season if I see it. I believe that is the rule without actually going to look, I suggest you call the game and fish or read the rule book, you might be able to shoot a few of them :) If a dog comes at me...well...I will for sure shoot it.

The dogs, barking and growling, came in from several different directions but stopped short of getting closer than about 15 ft. This encounter happened more than once in our 3 days out there. I was fairly certain they wouldn't have actually attacked but we had arrows knocked and ready. I'll most likely be carrying a hand gun while hunting as a result of this encounter.

I love my dog and would never even think of trying to hurt someones pet or hunting dog, but I also would not allow these dogs to disrupt my hunt like you have explained. Video the actions of the dogs and then take appropriate action which could mean anything from a dog treats, bear spray , pepper spray, sling shot, traps, up to a gun with non lethal rounds or real bullets. Hell rope one and tie that MF'er to a tree and see what it does. I also suspect a face full of pepper/bear spray would get their attention, just make sure to check the wind.

Part of the beauty of public grazing of range maggots. The dogs are doing what they are trained to do. The conflict is between user groups. Personally, in the immediate situation, I'd suggest switching spots to avoid continuing conflict with the dogs and with the effects of a large group of sheep on the surrounding wildlife.

I love my dog and would never even think of trying to hurt someones pet or hunting dog, but I also would not allow these dogs to disrupt my hunt like you have explained. Video the actions of the dogs and then take appropriate action which could mean anything from a dog treats, bear spray , pepper spray, sling shot, traps, up to a gun with non lethal rounds or real bullets. Hell rope one and tie that MF'er to a tree and see what it does. I also suspect a face full of pepper/bear spray would get their attention, just make sure to check the wind.

That's pretty funny!! Rope it to a tree! I would have had to knock one out first. They were pretty worked up. I too love my dogs! I have to dogs of my own in the herding breed class. These dogs are not pets...they are strictly working dogs and live in the wilderness with these sheep. The human in charge showed up on horse, fed the dogs and left. We watched it from about a mile away via binos. I plan on calling the game warden tomorrow and I will post my findings on this thread. It's certainly not something we should have to deal with on "our" public lands, in my opinion.

Part of the beauty of public grazing of range maggots. The dogs are doing what they are trained to do. The conflict is between user groups. Personally, in the immediate situation, I'd suggest switching spots to avoid continuing conflict with the dogs and with the effects of a large group of sheep on the surrounding wildlife.

Noted and likely what we will do to increase our chance of a harvest this season. Hard to walk away from the bachelor group of bulls we were tracking though.

Yep. Or bitch about it on the internet. It's public land, remember? You aren't the only public using it by hunting. Sucks, but I'd hunt somewhere else. mtmuley

Yep. Or bitch about it on the internet. It's public land, remember? You aren't the only public using it by hunting. Sucks, but I'd hunt somewhere else. mtmuley

The street in front of my house is also public land. Am I allowed to let a pack of aggressive dogs roam free around the front of my home? There are signed and posted trails everywhere......doesnt seem very safe to me. There are zero signs posted about guard dogs. This isn't about hunting. It's about being safe on "our" public lands. This is a place that a family could bring their kids and dogs for a hike. Im not "bitching" online about it. I am asking opinions from educated outdoorsmen and there seems to be a consensus.

Reminds me of this time my golden flushed a covey of quail about 200 yards from those stacks of white boxes on some public land.. swear those bees were Africanized.. thought of coming back with a flame thrower.. but in the end I just remembered not to hunt there.. lol.. you could do the same.. or you could shoot em .. decisions..

Correction.....a consensus by everyone that doesn't live in Montana...I see a pattern emerging. Note to self....avoid Montana public land or be attacked by Africanized killer bees in a box. Less of couse I have bacon in my pocket.

Again people...this have very little if anything at all to do with hunting the land.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back