Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bed Liner

prhunter

Looking to re-do my truck bed liner. Currently considering the Herculiner or the Rust-Oleum DIY brush-on bed liner kits. Also saw there is a spray-on type.

Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!!!

I have had Bed Rugs in my last couple of trucks. No contest for me. They win hands down.

Gus prefers them too, as do my shotguns.

2017%20Gus%20&%202%20birds%20on%20tailgate%2016%20December%20small.jpg

The DIY bed liners for me have never held up as well as having rhino linings or line x professionally do it.

I recently did a project that involved about 20 railroad ties hand loaded in and out of the bed of my truck with commercial spray in liner. When the job was complete, you couldn't even tell anything had rubbed at all. Never had that luck with the DIY stuff.

I had the line-x liner put in and love it. Their warranty is reassuring.

I put a Line-X liner in my truck when I bought it new in 2003. I've never had any issues with it.

No argument from me on professionally installed rhino or line-x liners. However, depending on your budget you may look at UPOL Raptor Liner. The whole kit from Amazon is only $100 and it comes with the spray gun you simply hook to your air compressor. You can control texture and thickness by the air pressure you spray it with. I was able to use it successfully, so it's pretty easy to do ( I have no painting experience). I used it on my truck topper and sprayed it with 80 PSI (high for fine texture) but most true bed liner applications should probably be sprayed at 40-60 PSI. There's ton's of youtube videos out there on how to apply. Here's a pic of my spraying in progress:

IMG_0380 copy.jpg

I have had spray in bed liners and rubber mats in the past. Recently switched to a Bed Rug and find it far superior for my uses.

20180831_151818.jpg Just did a raptor liner on my boat. Easy install but have no clue how it will last. As of now it seems very strong.

Attachments

• 20180831_151847.jpg
    20180831_151847.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 386
No argument from me on professionally installed rhino or line-x liners. However, depending on your budget you may look at UPOL Raptor Liner. The whole kit from Amazon is only $100 and it comes with the spray gun you simply hook to your air compressor. You can control texture and thickness by the air pressure you spray it with. I was able to use it successfully, so it's pretty easy to do ( I have no painting experience). I used it on my truck topper and sprayed it with 80 PSI (high for fine texture) but most true bed liner applications should probably be sprayed at 40-60 PSI. There's ton's of youtube videos out there on how to apply. Here's a pic of my spraying in progress:

View attachment 86319
I have a small 6 gallon air compressor. Will that work or do I need a bigger air compressor to do the job?

Thank you all for the replies.

With the small compressor youll just have to keep stopping evey so often to let the pressure build. The spray pattern starts falling off when you get low. Did mine with a pancake compressor. Bought a $14 air regulator and a quick connect from walmart for the sprayer that came with the kit.

If you have a camper shell/topper, the very best liner is a Bed Rug. I'll always have a topper and a Bed Rug on my trucks. I wouldn't normally haul gravel or other abrasive materials in a $50K pickup. That's what I have a 6K lb. utility trailer for. A good utility or dump trailer are cheaper than the depreciation on a beat up truck bed. If you really need the economy and simplicity of an open bed truck the Rhino liner is good product.

I used to spray Rhino Lining and it's a great product. I have dealt with many trucks that came into the shop where a customer had applied a diy kit and now wanted Rhino lining. Those were very expensive, crappy jobs. Everything the customer put on had to be removed. Some stuff came out easily in large pieces, others I had to grind out. If you are even remotely thinking of doing a professional spray in bed liner, skip the diy kit. You'll save yourself about double on the labor and a headache for the guy spraying it in. Rhino Lining will cover all the scratches and small dents. The large dents will also appear less sever if the spray tech does a good texture job

With that being said...

+1 for the Bed Rug

Just did a Linex on my new F-150. This is the third truck I have had done since 2010 (I drive a lot), suffice it to say they all have taken a bunch of abuse and last.

on a budget I used the herculiner on wood in my trailer and it came out nice on the 2nd roll on coat,,,not high dollar but decent,,,tip keep stirring the can,the rubber chunks settle fast

Just wanted to let everyone know that I ended up doing the Herculiner on my truck. I like how it came out considering I'm not a pro car painter. Put it to the test on my most recent deer hunt in AZ, it held up well. Wish I would have taken a before pic. I will try to post a pic of the finished job.

Attachments

• WIN_20181112_110606.jpg
    WIN_20181112_110606.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF7210.jpg
    DSCF7210.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 105
Now I'm thinking of adding a small truck bed tool box but haven't decided since I will lose some space back there. I'm thinking of using it for basic tools and vehicle recovery equipment. Thoughts are always appreciated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back