Queenstown New Zealand

appaloosa

My wife is dragging me to NZ in March for a bussiness trip. Curious if folks on here have much input on what might be available there for hunting opportunity in and around Queenstown. I'm not particularly interested in the "Estate" type 5star accommodations racket, are other private land opportunities readily available, is public land worth investigating?
Thanks for any feedback.

chock full of opportunities,,helicopter access at the head of the lake for red n chamois,,look up helicopters at glenorchy,,nz
also join fishing n hunting forum nz and the guys there will help out

As kiwihunter says, there are a lot of public land hunting opportunities near Queenstown. Send me a pm or email and I can share some recommendations. Just need a little more info - what species are you looking at (fallow deer, whitetail deer, red deer, tahr, chamois), walk in or chopper, how many days. Alternatively there will be outfitters and they will allow you to shoot what ever you want on a day trip, but sorry don’t know about these. [email protected]

It would be regretful to go there and not hunt. The biggest expense of hunting NZ is the airfare. I got these DIY. Lots of public land. Permission on private land is often times granted by just knocking on a door. Big game can be hunted in National Parks.

Attachments

• NZ 2011 066.jpg
    NZ 2011 066.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 20131106_220805.jpg
    20131106_220805.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 20131104_225021.jpg
    20131104_225021.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 20131029_030421.jpg
    20131029_030421.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
About 15 years ago there boats that transported hikers/hunters across lake TeAna and I remember reading there were crossed wapiti in that area. It would be exceedingly difficult hiking starting from the lake, but I bet there are people who do it. I seen several red deer, or sika deer not too far in the Caples Track. That’s some cool country.

Lots of opportunities around Queenstown. I lived there for 2 years and now live an hour away at Lake Hawea. Feel free to message me with any specific questions you have and i'll do my best to help.
Cheers,
Andy.

Back