Archery Mule Deer in SE Idaho

JohnWess

Hello all,

I will be hunting archery deer in SE Idaho once season starts (5 Days!!!) and was wondering if anyone was willing to help me out with where to start. I have been out looking around and have seen some amazing looking country, but as everyone knows that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Would love a DM or a reply as to where would be a decent spot to start the season. Thanks!!

John

Thank you! I was hesitant to even post cause I didn't want to be that guy that looks like he just joined to look for information, but I said heck with it. I have looked down in Unit 73 and it looks like beautiful country. I haven't been able to be there at first light or in the evening yet. I have a spot picked out that I was thinking about opening weekend, but figured it was worth a shot to see if someone who knew more about the area had some advice. I just moved to the Pocatello area. I am not looking for huge. I honestly love to just get out and hunt hard. I would go all season with a smile on my face not seeing anything, but it is always fun to see deer. That is what I am looking for, to see deer.

Thank you! I was hesitant to even post cause I didn't want to be that guy that looks like he just joined to look for information, but I said heck with it. I have looked down in Unit 73 and it looks like beautiful country. I haven't been able to be there at first light or in the evening yet. I have a spot picked out that I was thinking about opening weekend, but figured it was worth a shot to see if someone who knew more about the area had some advice. I just moved to the Pocatello area. I am not looking for huge. I honestly love to just get out and hunt hard. I would go all season with a smile on my face not seeing anything, but it is always fun to see deer. That is what I am looking for, to see deer.
I lived in Pocatello 'many moons' ago and the areas close to town produced some very large deer. But unfortunately this is 2018. It's an awkward place to live if you're planning on hunting deer, elk, bears or antelope. You're just going to have to drive some distance from Poky. I hunted close to town and hunted 'distant areas' in the Soda Springs area as well as units 50 and 51. In any case p.m me and I'll give you a specific recommendation (within slingshot range) in the 'vicinity' of the area you planned to hunt and where I hunt during rifle season. You should be up to your neck in deer.

If you just want a small buck to put some blood on an arrow, you should be able to find one in 71,73, or 74. Unit 70 is a draw only, so the forest by Scout Mountain etc.. is off limits. I think the major thing is to get out and away from roads. It seems like a lot of people who bowhunt deer in the area mainly road hunt (slowly changing, but you would be surprised how many people just drive up and down roads looking for a forkie). Also, another thing to note is that the Big Onion Access Yes property does not open until Oct. 1, so be careful around that area.

I’m in the boat too! I’ve only be to Idaho twice before with no luck. and we always tried SE Idaho around Area 77. I’ going to try it again since I only know this area. May try to check out Area 75 or 78. Any intel would be appreciated for this rookie. I hope there are some deer. I’m learning I need to find places others wont go (from Randy’s On X videos) and try to go there. We will see what happens. I’m just happy to get back with Mother Nature. I’m taking my brother in law a first time hunter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back