Wyoming Help!

johnsci

I have hunted unit 17 a couple of times and have a tag for this year again. Long story short is my dad just decided he wants to give it a try. Of course tags are super limited now! I have explored units 23 and 24 but never hunted them. The only plan I can come up with is to get him a private land tag and hunt a walk in area. I have not been able to find any information on accessing other private land so I assume that is probably out. I'm looking for any advice or ideas. I'd love to get my dad the old marine out on his first wester hunt.

Welcome! You've covered the possibilities very well and all I can do is wish you luck in finding what you mentioned in 23 or 24 since all the other units in that entire area are sold out of buck and doe tags now like just about everywhere else.

Thanks for the response. I was afraid I was down to about the only plan available. I am surprised there is not private land that can be accessed for a trespass fee.

I believe you could find private land for a fee. You might have sticker shock when you hear it though.

Thanks for the response. I was afraid I was down to about the only plan available. I am surprised there is not private land that can be accessed for a trespass fee.

I didn't have time to look at maps this AM, but did this PM. There are two WIHAs in unit 24. Unfortunately the bigger of the two (#3) is archery only. However, #6 has 1560 acres total that is made up of land in several different spots. Each one has a designated parking spot and you walk in from there. I'd get him a tag or tags for there depending on how much money you have to spend. You can buy two buck tags and up to four doe tags and four of the latter would be cheaper than one buck tag. After you fill your 17 tag then you can hit 24 there and maybe also ask some land owners for access if you don't do any good in that WIHA. Even if you don't fill a tag you'll have a ball and will have done a good deed for your Dad.

Take dad along for the adventure. Share the experience. Secondly, if tags are still available do NOT buy them until you are in Wyoming. If you make contact with a private ranch then buy out there. You can buy over the counter. Wright has a place and I am sure that Gillette would also have places to buy tags.

good luck to all
the dog

Buying tags out there is an option, but they aren't going to be sold out with 267 24-2 buck tags and 189 24-7 doe tags still for sale.

Does Thunder Basin coal allow hunting on its property?

Also a lot of land in that area is owned by oil companies. If you can find the right person/department to talk to they may allow hunting.

I'd just have him buy a small game license and shoot rabbits, or bring a pole and do some fishing. Plans can be made for a better unit next year.

Good luck!

I'd just have him buy a small game license and shoot rabbits, or bring a pole and do some fishing. Plans can be made for a better unit next year.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I will watch and see how tags are going and hope to hold off until we get out there.

JohnSCI, I also have a unit 17 buck tag and I am looking for any info on where to start. I will be heading up Oct 12 for a few days. When will you be hunting? I have scouted some and talked to the GW and she has pointed me to the WI areas. Let me know how your hunt goes and I would love to hear any tips you have to share. Thanks

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back