Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana Prarie Dogs for 1st time hunter

Bluejeep

After a few years of watching me leave and go hunting, my daughter thinks she might be ready to go with me. Shes 13 and hasn't killed anything but a few rats that sometimes run through our backyard here and there. She has been shooting with me several times, but I would like to find someplace where I could take her where she can shoot some prairie dogs.

They are small, fast, and can get your heart pumping when the action picks up. I figure it would be a good test of her skills and it would be nice to see her reaction to killing something other then a rat. We live in Billings Montana and I would be willing to drive us about 1-2 hours or so for a good location. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ONxmaps has a prarie dog village overlay option. I believe it cost an additional $5. Haven't had a chance to try it out, but most ONX products have been extremely useful in my opinion.

Also plenty of state land out by Pompey's Pillar that holds plenty of whistle pigs!

Prairie dogs, whistle pigs, pdogs, squeaks, prairie squirrels. I've heard them called all kinds of things. :rolleyes: thanks for the tip about ONX, I'll have to look into that

I seen tons of them north of Hardin, right off the reservation. You could probably find several spots by just calling some landowners at lunch time or leave a message. It shouldn't take a big colony to provide lots of shooting.

Stop in the local feed/seed stores and breakfast spots and ask around. Make sure to bring the kid. If you drive up to ranch houses, don't smash through puddles or kick up huge clouds of dust.

That's a good tip about the feed stores. I appreciate all the help. I'm hoping this becomes a good transition into her hunting and away from the phone and computer

Back