Pillow?

I use a pillow. The neck contour is good if a back sleeper. Otherwise, the rectangular pillow is better for side and stomach sleepers. I made a pillow taking a standard size pillow that had the small chunks of memory foam and reduced the size. Cut down a pillow case to fit. I used to just take a pillow case and would stuff in spare socks, etc, inside shirt then stuff in the pillow case. I need my sleep to do well on 3 day and longer hunts. I use a sleep mask, ear plugs, and take Advil PM if restless. I find having things dark and muffled quiet and the Advil PM ramping up drowsiness that I get deep sleep even if for only a shorter time than if home in my bed. I use a good sleeping pad, sleeping bag that is rectangular so legs can move, and have a wool blanket to toss on top if is brutal cold. I put extra clothes on sleeping bag then toss wool blanket on top when seriously brutal cold. Have added balaclava mask and stocking cap on head and face if really, really cold. The extra weight and space to have a rectangular sleeping bag and a wool cover and a pillow (compresses) that is comfortable is worth the sacrifice and extra effort for me.

I have a stuff pillow... Something cheap from Kelty. Works great.
If I don't bring, my next days clothes rolled up in a stuff sack has worked.

I use an inflatable Exped pillow similar to the one linked. For me it's a 2.5 oz. luxury item. It fits nicely in the hood of my sleeping bag, works well for side or back sleeping, and has a nice face fabric. Rolling up clothes in a stuff sack is fine too, except when you need to be wearing your clothes for warmth or drying them; one of the two is common. I don't bring much in the way of extra clothing.

I've never tried anything fancy but always have a pillow. If I don't sleep at least relatively comfortably I don't enjoy myself. Then what's the point?

I currently have a thermarest one that seems to just be small pieces of foam inside the pillow case. It has worked well for me but does not compact as small as the inflatables. A friend of mine has one of the inflatable sea to summits and was mentioning to me that it sleeps "hot" without a case/cover on it.

I use a thermarest pillow case with my inflatable seat cushion and puffy vest and works great. I have some pretty bad neck issues and need some support and this works best for me without carrying significant ly more weight

Important note on the sea to summit pillow at least:

I used it during hunting seasons(cooler Temps) a bunch, then this June I went on a quick overnight trip, left the pillow fully inflated in my tent in the hot summer sun.............pooof no more pillow. I'd just make sure you let some air out of it during the day when its hot.

Important note on the sea to summit pillow at least:

I used it during hunting seasons(cooler Temps) a bunch, then this June I went on a quick overnight trip, left the pillow fully inflated in my tent in the hot summer sun.............pooof no more pillow. I'd just make sure you let some air out of it during the day when its hot.

Well that's some good advice....never would have thought of doing that. I just got a fancy super comfortable Big Agnes inflatable pad last summer....gonna make sure I take some air out when I leave it inflated during the day!

But to answer your question, I immediately bought a new one afterwards, super light and I sleep so much better with it vs wadded up clothes.

Well that's some good advice....never would have thought of doing that. I just got a fancy super comfortable Big Agnes inflatable pad last summer....gonna make sure I take some air out when I leave it inflated during the day!

I've never had that happen with a air mattress ever.

The pillow has some inter baffle things connecting each side of the pillow to keep it from becoming a balloon and when it expanded they ripped off one side and caused it to pop.

I love mine. There's ones on amazon that are exactly the same as the sea to summit but 1/4 of the price. My wife's always slides away from her. I think the long hair pushes it away or something. Some people find them more comfortable where they are only partially inflated.

I use a blow up pillow that ends up the same height as my pad, then put a normal small kids pillow on top of that. Anything that will help with a better nights sleep is worth the weight and space in my pack.
I attach the blow up pillow to the pad with Velcro strips glued to the pad and pillow so it doesn't slide around on the slippery tent floor.

Last edited:
Some stellar comments and insight. Thanks gents!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back