Looking for a taxidermist in WY

Dewey

I’m going to be hunting mule deer near Lander WY this year. I have been looking for a local taxidermist to do a shoulder mount if I should have good luck on my hunt. I have found a few some with no reviews some with bad reviews. Some with websites with without. I expanded my search and it seems like Lander is 3 hours from every city in the state. I’d like to stay close to where I’m hunting because there will be 2 of us and I’d hate to leave my dad for 6 hours in no mans land. Any recommendations in wind river, riverton, Lander, Casper, Rawlings or any place else in the area? How long can a caped head be left out waiting to go to the taxidermist? Since I live in western NY I would either have to come back for the mount or have it shipped.... what kind of money are we talking about when a mount is shipped? Does it get shipped in a plywood box on a skid via ups, fed ex or roadway?

If you are going to do a shoulder mount it will be a whole lot simpler to just take the cape and horns home and have a local taxidermist do the work. No shipping costs which can add up if it has to be strapped to a pallet and shipped via LTL freight. But your local taxidermist may not be skilled at doing mule deer and you may not want to cape it yourself. In that case a local taxi is the way to go.

Since the locals can be as much as a year out just plan on picking it up when you come out next season.

I was kinda thinking that I wouldn’t be able to bring the head back to NY legally after reading about CWD and transporting across state lines.

I was thinking the shipping would cost as much as the mount if I had to have it done in WY!

I was kinda thinking that I wouldn’t be able to bring the head back to NY legally after reading about CWD and transporting across state lines.

Just clean the meat and brain tissue and you are good for the skull or just cut the skull cap off if you are going to do a shoulder mount.

Just pick up your mount when you come out to hunt next year. No shipping.

Gene Galitz is in Lander, Fins and Feather taxidermy. Lynn Stewart in Dubois, they both are slowin down, but might be able to help you in some way or know some new guys in the area.

I called find and feather last year and he said he doesn’t do it anymore. He recommended wind river taxidermy, which is in lander. Allen is a super nice guy and called me today to let me know he was shipping my lope out. Shipping to Virginia was only $150, and didn’t have to worry about caping, cwd or keeping it on ice the ride home.

I usually get a Euro mount now when hunting out of state. Easier to ship than shoulder mount, costs less to mount and ship, faster to get back from taxidermist and no concern over the cape slipping prior to mounting or later on bugs discovering bugs are eating up the cape. if doing a shoulder or full-body mount then make sure the taxidermist is capable of that species. Fr example, a guy in NJ probably does not do many pronghorn while a guy in WY probably does not do many Coues whitetail.

If you decide to use a taxidermist look up Dan French, although not in WY he has pick ups in that area and I believe he covers some of the shipping. He did my antelope and it came out great

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back