Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Scoping a nice rifle

Nightforce or Kahles. I have Leupolds on almost everything, Redfields on the others, but NF or Kahles scopes I have looked through on firearms are awesome.

The Redfields are nice for the price, have them on our varmint rifles.

VX3i 3.5x10

It's the best option out there between value & quality of glass. The VX5's, etc, are awesome glass, but unless you're willing to spend twice as much on glass as the rifle, the Vx3i's are the best value out there.
I'd have no trouble doing that!

If I lived in the states it would be Leupold, as I live in the UK, Schmidt and Bender is my choice, fixed power.
Cheers
Richard

Was reading up on the Vortex VIP warranty....seems pretty good to me. Do other optics mfrs have guaranteed repair or replacement as well?

Was reading up on the Vortex VIP warranty....seems pretty good to me. Do other optics mfrs have guaranteed repair or replacement as well?

I believe Leupold has a similar warranty. I believe it's not as unconditional as Vortex.

Queue the Tommy Boy scene...

Eventually, things fall apart, even forum threads...I think the word for it is entropy.

What the h___ scene are you talking about? There's so many in that movie that it would be hard to know.

Eventually, things fall apart, even forum threads...I think the word for it is entropy.

What the h___ scene are you talking about? There's so many in that movie that it would be hard to know.

He’s probably referencing the scene where they’re talking about the warranty being on the box. If I understand correctly the point is Leupold and Vortex have similar warranties but Vortex does a better job of advertising theirs.

Yep! That's the one.

My point being, warranties are good, but I'd lean towards companies with a more recent track record of not needing them as often. There's some of the Vortex offerings I could like, but much of the lower end stuff gets a big "meh" from me. If the options they offer fit your needs, go for it! That said, the last 2 scopes I've bought, for my sons to use have been Weaver. So, I'm far from a scope snob/elitist.

I have been watching this thread with great interest. Mainly because I won a Vanguard in 6.5 Creedmoor at a NWTF event. I'm afraid of the price tag on what should probably go on this rifle. I'd say it would cost my first born, but I'm not sure I'd get that much for her! I was really curious though, what the OP is going to use for rings? I see that Wetherby sells some for the rifle that have good reviews online.

The weapons are just fantastic so I'd not want to screw the pooch by using low budget optics.

I'm willing and able to set them up properly. Never would have expected to find myself with 3 weapons needing quality optics though for sure.

Can you define ow budget scope? Lot of people get absolutely crazy when talking about scopes. I've got a Bushnell Banner on my 25-06 that is likely older than a lot of guy's on this site, still works great!

So I walked into Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday....asked the counter guy what they had on sale?

He says nothing and starts pointing at all the nicer Leupolds, Night Force, Vortex, etc. He walks away after I don't express immediate interest and as I'm walking down the counter I start noticing a few orange sale tags? Wow.

Anyways, I grabbed a Burris Fullfield E1 3-9x50 for 1/2 off.

Came home and ordered these Vanguard Talley bases: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QEQTIU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All things considered, I think I'm going to wind up with a nice setup! Woot!

Nothing wrong with admitting you were wrong....I ended up taking that Burris back for return and ordered a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 CDS with Windplex Reticle from schmaltz. Got a great deal on it, ordering from him was a breeze, the scope arrived today and it's mounted on a Vanguard in 243. Can't wait to get out this weekend with it!

You can never go wrong with this choice in model or brand or if you can find a like new or new in box VX3.

I got one of these this summer for a new gun. For the price really like the glass but when zeroing the “turrets” felt cheap, plastic and “spongy”. Like a $50 Simmons scope from Walmart. While that was disappointing, I don’t zero very often so I can live with it given I like the view.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back