Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Scoping a nice rifle

fmnjr

Thanks to one of the fine members of this forum I now have an unexpected pleasant problem to solve: What kind of scope am I going to use on the new Weatherby's I was able to buy on sale at WM?

My one other rifle I already owned has a Vortex on it. I'm kind of torn between continuing with that brand or switching to something else so I looking for input.

Vortex is nice but if you had 3 Vanguards to scope what would you consider?

Depends on the budget, calibers, and if you planned to dial shots but VX3 3.5-10, VX5 3-15, VX6 3-18 come to mind. I suppose if I were looking for vortex I'd probably consider the HS-T as it's a touch lighter than the PST.

This past year or so I've bought a Leupold VX-2 4-12 duplex; a VX-2 4-12 AO wind plex; a VX-2 6-18 AO wind plex and a VX-5HD 3-15 wind plex. Up until then I was mostly a Redfield man. I see Leupold is producing them now. Never found a lot of endorsement for them tho. Otherwise it's been about 20 years since I purchased a scope.

The weapons are just fantastic so I'd not want to screw the pooch by using low budget optics.

I'm willing and able to set them up properly. Never would have expected to find myself with 3 weapons needing quality optics though for sure.

VX3i's.. 3.5x10x40 (gloss) is what I put on my Win1885 and I am very happy with it. I also am pleased with the Monarch 5 3-15x42 scope on my weatherby vanguard 2. Both are nice (but not world class) and are decent matches for the guns they are on.

If by quality optics you mean they will hold zero and track correctly, I would put on three of a kind 10x42 or 6x42 SWFA SS, or 6x42 Leupold FX-3 LRD. If money is no object, three 3-12x44 Bushnell LRHS's. If by quality optics you mean the glass is the highest end I would have no clue.

Dialing or not would answer that question for me. Dialing: Budget = SWFA; No Budget = Nightforce. Non-Dialing: Budget = Burris; More Budget = Weaver or Leupold or maybe a Tract.

I have the same problem right now. I'm not complaining though it's a good problem to have. I've bought my first vortex pretty impressed with it so far walked out of Cabelas with a 6-20x50 viper for less than $300 a few weeks ago.

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas guys, I'll check them all out and get back here with what I'm going to do.

Some good ones mentioned, a few others depending on how much you plan on spending; Nikon FX1000, Burris Veracity, Zeiss Conquest. Or are you talking Tangent Theta nice?

The only thing I have replaced a Leupold 3x9x40 with is a Zeiss Conquest I found NIB 1/2 price....

VX3i 3.5x10

It's the best option out there between value & quality of glass. The VX5's, etc, are awesome glass, but unless you're willing to spend twice as much on glass as the rifle, the Vx3i's are the best value out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back