Caribou Gear

Wondering about tactics for handling shots near dark

skunk

I'm deep into planning my first Mule Deer and first Western hunt in southern New Mexico (I'll be in the Gila National Forest and Aldo Leopold Wilderness mostly). It was supposed to be me, my friend, and his teenage son but my friend baled so now it's just going to be me.

What I will most likely be doing for this hunt is camping along a forest road then hiking into a more secluded area for the day. Now I know that the evening hours before dusk are often the best times for deer activity so what I'm concerned with is shooting a deer late and then getting to it to break it down and safely make it back to camp. It seems if you got a good shot, you absolutely must get to that deer, quarter it, and hang it at least for that night or risk spoiling the meat. Then you'd carry back as much as you can to camp and get the rest in the morning.

I don't plan to bone out the meat (except for the tenderloin, backstraps, neck, ribs, and such that I can't / shouldn't take out in whole parts) and I have Caribou Game Bags to hang it in with 50 feet of 3/32" reflective paracord to hang the quarters.

Since I'll be in unfamiliar country (I've never hunted New Mexico and I'm driving down from the midwest), the prospect of breaking down a deer, bagging it, hanging it, and packing part of it out in the dark potentially miles from my campsite seems a little risky. Also, I'll be in black bear and mountain lion country alone so even though I will be carrying my rifle and a pistol on my chest, walking miles in the dark freaks me out a bit.

What tips / tactics / recommendations do folks have for this part of the hunt?

I read in some other threads where people build small fires right away when they start to break down an animal. Assuming there isn't a burn ban, that would be an option to ease the mind at least. Are there other things people do in such cases? I want to hear what your approach is and why.

Thanks!

The number one thing is to take your time. You've got your animal. There is no need to rush. Rushing in the dark is a good way to hurt yourself. Other than that, you just do it.

Whether you MUST deal with the animal immediately depends on the temperature, but its a good idea anyway. At the very least, if the temps allow, open him up to let out the body heat if you're going to leave him overnight.

Trekking poles help. Depending on the terrain and the size of the animal, you may be able to get your deer out in a single trip. One step at a time until you're home.

As far as predators, just make some noise. They generally prefer to stay away from humans.

I like to have two sources of light for peace of mind.

Leap frog you packout. I read the idea in someone's blog and it's common sense really. You field dress your animal and hang a light (like a cyalume light stick) so you can see where it is. Then you carry your first load until you can just still see your hung light. Then you drop your load and hang another light. Repeat the shuttle between piles until you get to your truck. That way you are never out of sight of the game bags.

Never leave anything in the dark without getting a GPS way-point on it.

I hunted for a deer for an hour one time that I had killed and gutted before dark...

When I came back with my pack-frame everything looked the same...

Sounds dumb. But it happens. I literally found it after an hour of looking for it.

I wouldn't worry too much about mountain lions. I have hunted new mexico for a few years and we have even had mountain lions on trail cameras but I have yet to see one or even hear one when hunting. The biggest risk in traversing in the dark is a fall. The advise about trekking poles is right on. Take your time, watch your step, and enjoy every second. Good luck.

Great suggestions so far!

Are you car camping or backpacking? When I'm backpacking I just carry everything the whole time so I can make a camp wherever I end up when the sunsets.

I always am a bit on edge butchering alone in the dark, but honestly if you aren't in griz country you will be find. I like to play some tunes on my phone when I'm butchering alone... it helps.

As frank Herbert wrote, "Fear is the mind-killer", if you can deal with it on your first solo trip you will be golden on subsequent ones. Good luck!

The number one thing is to take your time. You've got your animal. There is no need to rush. Rushing in the dark is a good way to hurt yourself. Other than that, you just do it.
+1
It's only marginally different than any other time of day, it just seems way different. One cut at a time, then one step at a time, just get it done. I've probably carried as many loads of meat in the dark as I have in the daylight, the incentive of greasy food and beer will keep a guy walking all night.

The Gila is an awesome place. Enjoy your time down there. I did not find it very intimidating at all. The scariest creature I encountered were the quail busting out at your feet and I think the most dangerous thing about that country was all of the rocks you walk across. Trekking poles would be a very good idea for packing meat so you don't twist a knee or sprain an ankle. Just keep things simple and take one step at a time. Know where you are and which direction you need to go to hit a road, and carry a compass. I brought a sidearm down there but never did feel like it was worth carrying the extra weight, so I either carried my bow or nothing. We saw a few bears, a couple rattlers, a wolf, and some coyotes. Nothing to get worried about. Some hunters near us saw a pair of lions. The drive down there and back will be, by far, the most dangerous part of the trip. Deer don't take long to quarter and hang, so you shouldn't be spending too much time out after dark, even if you shoot one last light.

Good luck and bring home some green chile with you, too! Enjoy your time down there, it's a special place.

+1
It's only marginally different than any other time of day, it just seems way different. One cut at a time, then one step at a time, just get it done. I've probably carried as many loads of meat in the dark as I have in the daylight, the incentive of greasy food and beer will keep a guy walking all night.

This.

Also, I’m much more concerned with my knife getting away from me than I am of black bears and lions.

JLS +1> biggest worry,take care,be safe.Above all take the time and photos to remember this experience.Even if you don't succeed you will always have the memories.:cool:

I'm sure you've already got it covered, but make sure you have a good headlamp. As others have said, don't get careless with the knife, I've stuck one into my knee pretty bad cleaning a deer - a split second of dumb is all it takes.

Good info so far. Thanks everyone!

I plan to have the option of both backpack hunting and camping at the car. Originally when my friend was supposed to come with, I thought we'd backpack in a few miles and camp and then just strike out from there or move as needed. However, now that I'll be solo, I think it's more likely that I'll be camping along a forest road and then day hiking in. Part of the reasoning for that is also water availability... I'm not familiar with the area so this way I can always have lots of water in my truck (I'm packing two 7 gallon car buoys full of water in the truck).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back