Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tell me about the black hills

Almost forgot this one. When I got back to the truck one night my brother pointed this out to me. From what we can tell its a urinal cake of some sort that a plane dropped. There was nothing else around it in the fresh snow so it def fell from the sky. Missed his truck by about 15yds. It originally fell in the spot on the left of the pic. He walked over to it and kicked it to see what it was causing the splash marks. I so wish it would have fell in the back of his truck while he was sleeping.

Screenshot_2019-01-15-18-26-42.jpg

A urinal cake picture that fell from the sky.

Now thats a new one for OYOA!

Congrats on your trip!

Congrats on the great trip! Did you go to Alpine Inn?

Sounds like a good time. I always like when OP lets us know what happened after the hunt. Nice write up.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you had a good time. mtmiller makes it look easy in the BH, but it can be a very tough hunt.

Thanks for the update and congrats on the successful hunt. It is much appreciated personally as I hope to burn 3 points in the hills in 2020. What size buck were you targeting out there?

This is coming from a whitetail hunter who’s never put a tape on a muley, but since no one else has taken a stab yet I’ll guess high 150s on that buck.

Boomer,

Sounds like a good time. I was one of the guys who didn’t update my post(s), but everyone who asked got a PM. I’m up in the air on returning too. I’ll probably just save points for when I can’t get a better tag. Sorta of a fall back plan so to speak.

I ran into a couple MN guys at a gas station that used 18 gallons of gas road hunting one day. I think they were from Grand Rapids or the surrounding area. I’d like to get in touch with them if anyone knows them.

One big turn off with me was the camping rules on NF in the area I hunted.

Congrats on the great trip! Did you go to Alpine Inn?

We did. In hindsight, I dont know why we bothered trying anywhere else. The food and service was excellent and where else are you going to get a fillet dinner for $14? I think I paid more than that for my meal at the dinner a block away and the food was barely edible. Black hills burger and bun did have a damn good burger though.

Thanks for the update and congrats on the successful hunt. It is much appreciated personally as I hope to burn 3 points in the hills in 2020. What size buck were you targeting out there?

This is coming from a whitetail hunter who’s never put a tape on a muley, but since no one else has taken a stab yet I’ll guess high 150s on that buck.

I was looking for something 125" or bigger. The buck that vanished on me the last evening was in that neighborhood if not a little better. The other was was substantially larger. We saw a pretty good amount of deer in general, which is what I was told if you get out and walk a little bit. It was a fun hunt overall.

Thanks for sharing.

Any space peanuts in that cake?

I'd guess that buck about 130.

Hahaha, thankfully there weren't any space peanuts that I saw. I just wish it would have landed in the truck bed and scared the hell out of him.

Confused. Are you saying you had to camp in designated areas and you were not allowed to use a wood stove?

Correct. The NFS gives you a map and you can only camp right off the roads that have dots along them. Those areas were on the edge of cliffs, full of impenetrable growth or way too uneven for a truck and tent...at least in the area I drove around for three hours looking for a spot off the main drag. Most areas you couldn’t even put up a 2-man dome tent.

As for the stove: There are no open fires at all permitted. When I mentioned I have a wood stove with a stove pipe, they about freaked out. Told them I had a spark arrestor and all and they said I was “playing with fire and might get a ticket”.

Last edited:
I think there were 2 mornings when we were there that were -8 with a wind chill of about -20. I wouldn't have wanted to be in a tent without a stove that's for sure.

Back