binocular harness/pouch

BrentD

I am thinking about trying a binocular harness system similar to what Randy uses. I generally don't like a whole bunch of do-dads hanging on me, but I'm going to try it. I welcome any suggestions for good candidates, especially if accompanied by explanations of why they are good.

My binos are either a cheap pair of 8x42 Nikon Monarchs or a set of 10x42 Leica Trinovids that are somewhat heavy. I'll be using them while wearing a t-shirt and while wearing 5-6 layers of down, fleece, etc. I don't see the need for lots of pockets for other stuff, which would just add bulk and weight, but I could be persuaded.

Easy On/ Easy Off would be nice. They look like a PITA to put on, esp over bulky clothes.

Camo-only options are a slight demerit.

Medium sized smart phone pocket might be good - I'll be using OnX on my Samsung G8 phone.

Last edited:
I've seen various types, tried a few - liked this one the best. Houses my 10x50 Vortex binos among other basics. easy as two snaps and it is on.
Mine are not the newest version, they are the Mag bino case.

[video=youtube_share;epLAVIELKuI]https://youtu.be/epLAVIELKuI[/video]

Last edited:
I've owned the S4, crooked horn, and now the marsupial.

S4 did not offer the protection I was looking for

Crooked horn was simple but was more of a cover and finally the elastic wore out.

I looked around. Some of the other popular ones seem to open backwards and some require hooking a loop to close, both were deal breakers for me. The marsupial opens correctly and closes with magnets so no fiddling with strings and hooks. Available in a variety of colors and I suspect the small would be the correct size for you.

Got mine from ShedNecks in Wyoming last year.

Sytes, I wonder if that guy uses his to house his beard! :)

I don't have the beard so both that and the Marsupial look pretty useful. Certainly a lot of thought went into both of them. Great, I have two candidates so far.

Thanks.

I've used the KUIU harness for maybe three years, before that the crooked horn. KUIU's is in my mind the best!

I've used the KUIU harness for maybe three years, before that the crooked horn. KUIU's is in my mind the best!

You like it? Is it fully encased? The pictures don't show.

I have the zipper-style badlands harness. It works great.

BinoBro by Oregon Pack Works. I have used mine in blizzards and blazing hot and it worked great. Also very quiet, opens the correct way, and simple on/off.

I have an FHF like Randy uses and I really like it a lot. It's not too bulky, but gives room for carrying a few extra things. I used to use both versions of the S4, and depending on your body type you might love them or hate them. I'm fairly average, and the harness carried too low with no way to adjust it up enough. They're not as protective as others, but they are light and generally comfortable.
This talks about a few and covers them pretty well.
[video=youtube;qTwAxocMTfE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTwAxocMTfE[/video]

I love my Alaskan Guide Creations harness. I went "full pockets" with the CUB Max, but they have several models with less pockets. Prior to that I put a few seasons each on the S4 and Horn Hunter bino carrier systems. Much prefer the Alaskan Guide. I wouldn't totally dismiss the idea of having additional storage beside just your binos in a harness. I have the following in mine: wind checker, main headlamp, micro spare headlight, GPS, Delorme inreach, Leatherman, a few fire starting items, extra batteries, compass, rangefinder, a little duct tape, and a few various pills. Also have all my tags and a few zip ties in the flat back pocket. Sounds like a lot of stuff, but it rides just as well as the previous harness, and doesn't really feel any more bulky than they did. Plus, every time i have my harness on, i know i have "x" amount of critical gear all within easy reach without taking my main pack off or remembering to switch gear from one pack to another. I would be carrying all of those items anyway, so I would rather have them always accessible and the weight distributed some to my front/chest for balance instead of having it all behind my spine. The bino harness is the "base" of my pack system, i wear it on any hike just because i know i would have some basic communication/navigation/firestarting on my person at all times. The easy access was demonstrated a few weeks ago. A buddy and i were hauling butt back to the truck right at dark, and stumbled into several rattlers on a hillside. I had my headlamp on and scanning the ground for snakes in a few seconds grabbing it from my bino harness, my buddy had to fumble around with taking his pack off, digging around in the lid, etc. Also, the AGC has two elastic sleeves on the top. One is perfect for your phone, the other makes a great diaphragm holder. My $.02.

Last edited:
Another FHF user here. It's been my first Bino harness with a pouch and initially I thought it was going to get in the way of everything. It has turned into my wallet of the woods. Everything of importance is there. Its pretty comfortable, but other than the Vortex elastic style straps I don't really have anything to compare it to. It does everything I want it to, I like the closure on the pouches, and it was a great way to get my rangefinder more easily accessible.

I ran the FHF harness for two years, but found some things lacking on it. Like Carlin59, it became my wallet in the woods, and just didn't have enough room. Yes, the two pockets on the side are nice for a wind checker, and a call, but other than that if it's not flat, your not carrying it. Also, after a long day the shoulder straps would start to cut into my shoulders/neck. I even had the strap pad that they sell, but it just didn't help. Last thing for me was the seams aren't 100% sewn together. The corners are open so it's more of a wrap, than an actual case. I always ended up with tons and tons of pine needles and such in there, which always made it onto my lenses. Wasn't a huge thing, but cleaning the lenses all the time got annoying.

I just bought an Alaskan Guide Creation from DonnieBrasco from this site. Landed in my mailbox on Monday, but will be making it's maiden voyage this weekend for an antelope trip. Initially, I like the fact that it's got more pockets, especially since they've got room to actually put round things in them. One thing I'm a little "iffy" about is that it has a hard buckle to close the main pocket. The newer ones have just the hook and elastic cord. But for the price, I'm not complaining. Most of the time I end up dumping my binos in and forgetting to even close the lid all the way.

I used to have an FHF. Switched to the AGC cub Max with the basement. It's like my command center. Sometimes we go in "light" which just means bows and bino harness. It's nice to know I have my gps, binos, knife, headlamp, calls, multitool, cliffbar, lighter, liscences all right there. only thing missing is water. I don't find it to be too much or in the way at all. I don't see any other harness that comes close.

I have the Marsupial, it's extremely well made. One handed to get binos in and out. Plus you can get other attachments for GPS, rangefinder so everything is right there.

Used to use the Kuiu harness, now use a Marsupial. The Marsupial or the Outdoor Vision harnesses are the two that fit my needs the best.

I’ve used the badlands with the magnetic closure and have loved it. Haven’t tried anything else though. Some people don’t like the noise it makes when it snaps shut, but you can get used to closing it slow and not make any noise. It does have some pockets for licenses etc. and has enough adjustments so it can hang high or low on your chest. It closes nice so it doesn’t let any dust get inside. The best thing about it is their warranty. I wore out the cloth edgeing along the magnetic flap after several years, sent them in to be repaired and they sent me a brand new replacement free of charge.

I love my Alaskan Guide Creations harness. I went "full pockets" with the CUB Max, but they have several models with less pockets. Prior to that I put a few seasons each on the S4 and Horn Hunter bino carrier systems. Much prefer the Alaskan Guide. I wouldn't totally dismiss the idea of having additional storage beside just your binos in a harness. I have the following in mine: wind checker, main headlamp, micro spare headlight, GPS, Delorme inreach, Leatherman, a few fire starting items, extra batteries, compass, rangefinder, a little duct tape, and a few various pills. Also have all my tags and a few zip ties in the flat back pocket. Sounds like a lot of stuff, but it rides just as well as the previous harness, and doesn't really feel any more bulky than they did. Plus, every time i have my harness on, i know i have "x" amount of critical gear all within easy reach without taking my main pack off or remembering to switch gear from one pack to another. I would be carrying all of those items anyway, so I would rather have them always accessible and the weight distributed some to my front/chest for balance instead of having it all behind my spine. The bino harness is the "base" of my pack system, i wear it on any hike just because i know i would have some basic communication/navigation/firestarting on my person at all times. The easy access was demonstrated a few weeks ago. A buddy and i were hauling butt back to the truck right at dark, and stumbled into several rattlers on a hillside. I had my headlamp on and scanning the ground for snakes in a few seconds grabbing it from my bino harness, my buddy had to fumble around with taking his pack off, digging around in the lid, etc. Also, the AGC has two elastic sleeves on the top. One is perfect for your phone, the other makes a great diaphragm holder. My $.02.

I went from badlands to AGC and have loved it, especially with the new holster that came out last week. You can have as many pockets on them as you want, but I use my main pocket for binos, front for range finder, and small side pockets for wind checker and diaphragm calls. I use those items constantly, so I like having them close to the chest (pun not intended;). I'm sure there are some other good options too.

When I started looking for a harness I found there were very few options that were as minimalist as I like. I prefer zero stuff hanging off my chest other than binoculars. For me the the Bino Bro met my criteria most closely. It weighs almost nothing, protects well enough, nothing much to go wrong, and the harness is good to go under backpack straps all day. I don't worry about putting on over bulky clothes because if I'm wearing down it's because I'm sitting anyway. Anytime I'm moving, even into single digits, I have a base/mid/and shell layer on at absolute most. The olive drab color is muted and not obnoxious.

I use the Kuiu bino harness. It works really well. It is slim and I often forget I'm wearing it.

I use the FHF harness and love it. Windchecker and lens wipes are all I carry in it. Other stuff goes to n my pack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back