Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Smoke situation in Colorado

AtenJones

Was planning on heading out on Friday for our OTC archery hunt. Depending on how the drive goes, we have two areas in mind - either the Mt. Zirkle area, near Steamboat - or the West Elks. Any idea what the smoke situation is like in either of those spots? The West Elks adds on about 3-4 more hours to the trip - but it may be worth it if there is a difference in air quality.

Thanks!

Buddy in Steamboat says it has been much better recently, there will likely be some smoke... but given the fires nationally there will probably be some just about everywhere in CO right now.

I will be heading to Mt. Zirkle area for ML and leaving on Labor Day for the drive and some scouting. Good luck and post back on how the air quality is I will be backpacking in.

Was planning on heading out on Friday for our OTC archery hunt. Depending on how the drive goes, we have two areas in mind - either the Mt. Zirkle area, near Steamboat - or the West Elks. Any idea what the smoke situation is like in either of those spots? The West Elks adds on about 3-4 more hours to the trip - but it may be worth it if there is a difference in air quality.

Thanks!

Gunnison has been smoky for a few weeks. Bad enough that I can smell it when I step outside. I suspect most is coming from the Bull Draw fire.

Some rain lately in southern Wyo and northern Colorado has helped up here some.

Smoke from the fires has been off and on in the northern part of state depending on wind direction. Clear on days and others can’t see the mountain in front of you.

We have been choking along the front range here in Colorado of late. We just need a little front to push through and all that goes away for a few days, at least. If it blows, either elkheads or zirkels should be clear, no too far between as the crow flies. It has been mostly cool here the last week. wish you success

Gunnison/Crested Butte have been pretty smoky. Today wasn't as bad. It can't believe it, but the leaves are starting to change already.

I could tell hunting season had started today because all the private fields had hundreds of elk show up overnight, LMAO, gotta love OTC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back