Yeti GOBOX Collection

Michigander Greenhorn Survival Tips - Custer Gallatin

dragginwood

Hello Folks - I've been a member for about a year and have done countless hours of reading in the background, but this is my first post. (I'll try not to be too long winded.)

I have my first ever western big game tag in my pocket, OTC Cow Elk in the Gallatin. Not exactly the dream hunt, but I'm glad to have it to learn the ropes for when I finally draw a coveted tag. I am an avid white-tail hunter in MI so I am familiar with the outdoors, but this is a whole different bag. When my journey began I had a decent group of interested folks that were all-in on joining me on our first adventure on our own out west. Now that the tires are meeting the road it looks like I'll be going in alone.. Needless to say I am a bit nervous/intimidated to go this alone on my first trip spending +/- 5 days in the wilderness area. And even more so than me, my Wife and presumably my 7 month old son are both very concerned, which brings me to the purpose of my post: Any advice for a first time solo hunter that has never packed into the mountains to ensure a safe trip and healthy return?

I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly because I don't know what I don't know yet.. So anything you experienced folks could look back and tell yourself on your first trip if you had the opportunity would be a decent starting point.

Things that I don't believe that I need any help covering:
I believe I have all of the functional groups nailed down for camping: Tent, Clothing, Cooking, First Aid, GPS w/ OnX, etc. (I'm still working out water...)
I'm also not asking for tips on hunting spots, as I've done my homework and e-scouted the hell out of the unit. I have my honey holes picked out and am already dreaming of walking into my third spot on day three to a glorious herd.

Thanks for all the help you didn't know you've provided me and thanks again for your support on this inquiry!

Dan

P.s. Mr. Newberg, if you read this and want to come along with me to do a lessons learned episode through the eyes of a flat lander I'm in.

There are so many combinations of things that can happen it's really hard to say what advice would do you any good. If you haven't backpacked much, a lot of time will be spent just figuring that out. I guess the main thing is to stay found, and think a few steps down the road, i.e. if I kill something here how do I get it out, if I get hurt here what I'd my fallback plan, etc. A lot of that becomes second nature over time, but there is just a learning curve that can't be skipped.

Make sure you let people know where you are going to be. If you move camping spots or trailheads ect let people know. That'll go a long way for your wife. Water should be easy, just get a filter of some sort. Sawyers are cheap and effective.

Sounds fun. I'm originally from Michigan also and do a lot of hunting there.

Practice backpacking if that is what you are doing.

Plan a lot.

I'll echo what Shaffe said. Make sure that you take some test trips. I'm sure there are some pretty good national forests somewhere in Michigan for you to get into. You're not going to get the elevation, but you'll get the whole backpacking thing down pretty well. As for the mountains, be prepared for all weather. In the midwest you can expect accurate weather reports and be able to see weather rolling in a long way off. In the mountains, weather can change in a few minutes. I've had hail storms roll in and change the air temp from sunny and 75 to 45 and wet pretty quickly. Make sure that you have the correct clothing and that'll get you a long way.

Practice your basic skills that any outdoors person should know and you'll be just fine. Enjoy your hunt!

I can't tell what you are doing. Backpack hunting? Bow or rifle? Backpack doesn't give you a lot of advantage and you might wind up with a very long packout requiring 4-5 trips, which you probably aren't used to carrying. Camp near the car and get up early.

...As for the mountains, be prepared for all weather. In the midwest you can expect accurate weather reports and be able to see weather rolling in a long way off. In the mountains, weather can change in a few minutes. I've had hail storms roll in and change the air temp from sunny and 75 to 45 and wet pretty quickly. Make sure that you have the correct clothing and that'll get you a long way.

This. This is absolutely no joke at 9,000 feet in the Gallatins. Severe weather moves in over the mountains in a hurry. I was hiking to an alpine lake with my family in the Gallatins last summer and we got caught unprepared in a hail storm. Literally huddled together for warmth under a fir tree for more than an hour until it blew over. Had it been much longer, we may have been in some serious trouble.

I live in Bozeman. Feel free to DM if you have any questions as you get closer.

For context, I've not hunted Montana but have done many solo trips in Colorado and Wyoming. I agree you may be better off with a base camp and hunt from there, or spike out a day or two if you are going deep. Just keep in mind the pack out if you are successful. My first time going solo, I did a dry run in my yard then once more a mile or so hike into a national forest here. It did a lot to build confidence. My wife is used to my exploits but i still sit down with her and go over a map of where i will be and a rough idea of where i plan to hunt each day. I leave her with a copy of that map. As I get older, Im thinking of getting an Inreach. For water, if you do the base camp idea, you can take all you need. If strictly backpacking, a Katadyn filter or Sawyer should be all you need.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back