Beartooth fishing/backpacking trail question

fargoflyfish

Good morning,

I am heading out to the beartooths this weekend for 3 days of backpacking and a bit of fishing if I have time. I am planning on starting at East rosebud lake and walking to cooke city on the "beaten path" trail. I have been looking at the maps and it appears I will have to return on the same trail.

Are there any other paths I could take from cooke city to east rosebud lake besides the beaten path? It would be nice to have some different scenery on the way back. Also, I will have my dog with so it will need to be a walking trail primarily and I would prefer to keep her off of boulder fields or similar.

Thanks

No. The Beaten Path is the only route up and over. If you know the area, you could "bush-wack-it", but I wouldn't recommend that if this is your first time into the area. Once on top, if pretty open. The Beaten Path is there for a reason, so other routes would be much more difficult or a lot longer hiking. You could hike up and back and if you have the time and energy; then set out for Lake Sylvan or Crow Lake (east out of East Rosebud). Lake Sylvan has golden trout.

Most people park another vehicle at the other end of the beaten path. They only go one way. Most start at the Cooke city. That way it's almost all down hill for the 26 miles

If you’re going to walk the beaten path both directions, with camping gear and a dog in 3 days you and your dogare in far better shape than most.

There’s no other on trail route.

All off trail routes will mean boulder hopping.

If you REALLY wanted to, once at Cooke, you could take the Stillwater trail back north to the Stillwater, and arrange a ride from there back to the ER trailhead from there. You'll need more than 3 days though...

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back