Yellowstone River from Billings to Glendive

efw

I’m taking my 13 yo son on a western trout fishing trip the first week of October and am considering spending a few days on this stretch of water but everything I’ve turned up while researching has been related to paddlefish.

We’ll be spin casting with hardware & bait (where legal) but no fly tackle.

Is this a good stretch on which to spend a few days?

Not looking for specific spots just to know if I’m on the right track here.

Thanks,

Efw

Yeah thats really a warm water fishery then. Where will you be then?

That’s what I needed to know thanks; maybe we’ll start at Billings & follow the Clarks fork down into Wyoming and spend some time at Boysen State Park.

Is the first week of October a good time for trout on this stretch?

Thanks again!

There are some trout on the clarks fork up at Bridger and above. If you are looking for trout in the area I’d hit the Stillwater rock creek or the stone above Columbus. Or hit the boulder at big timber

Either fish below Huntley for the above mentioned fish or upstream of Livingston for trout. Please don’t waste your time fishing around Billings. If you do, keep an eye out for abandoned needles...

I would hit the big horn for trout if you're in that area already, great trout on the big horn. Bass and walleye/sauger is pretty good from Custer down to miles city. Below the powder river it really depends on water clarity, but walleye can be good all the way along the Yellowstone there. I know you said you were looking for trout, but many of the same tactics such as casting jigs can catch both on spinning gear. That and walleye are way better eating in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back