Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Glacier Park fire grows to nearly 8,000 acres, prompting evacuations and warnings

mfb99

So Ryan Zinke, now that Montana is burning are you going to fly in and schedule a press conference to belittle and berate the good folks of the State as “Radical Environmentalists” more interested in tree hugging than the lives of firefighters?

My guess is probably not.

Zinke, you are a troll and a lackey for the Extraction Industry. You spend more time on your image and personal enrichment than in doing the job of Secretary of the Interior. You are a science denier, a divider who pushes one group of people against another, you are corrupt and wasteful of our tax dollars. And you will forever be known as the first (and hopefully only) Secretary of the Interior to rollback National Monuments.

Oh and by the way Ryan, have you cleared the brush around your Santa Barbara mansion? Well, should I say, have you had your help clear the brush……..

Now for the article on the fire in Glacier National Park, from Patrick Reilly of the Missoulian:

Glacier National Park ordered an evacuation of the Fish Creek Campground Sunday and warned people in Apgar to be ready to leave after the Howe Ridge fire grew to more than 7,800 acres.

Fire information officer Jean Tabbert said Sunday afternoon the fire was about a half-mile west of Going to the Sun Road and 3.5 miles north of the Fish Creek Campground.

Weather predictions over the next 24 to 36 hours call for thunderstorms with increasing winds that could shift directions, heightening the fire's ability to spread quickly.

"This could significantly affect fire behavior on the southern and western flanks of the fire,'' according to the park. "Smoke yesterday over the fire perimeter prohibited air resources from dropping water on the fire.''

Brothers Craig and Sean Simpson, and their father Henry, were among those evacuated from their campground Sunday morning.

“It’s kind of scary, being woken up and told you have to evacuate,” Craig said. But Sean commended Glacier staff for their handling of the situation. “They got us out with plenty of time to be safe, and we felt taken care of.”

The family members had arrived from New England on Saturday. While they had to relocate to Apgar Campground and cancel their plans to hike in the North Fork, they still planned to stay for five nights, if they were able.

The Simpsons were among a thin trickle of guests walking and driving through Apgar Village. The haze, and its campfire smell, hung heavy in the air, and only a tiny sliver of Lake McDonald was visible.

Glacier Outfitters remained open for business, albeit with far fewer customers than normal.

“The smoke is what’s affecting us,” explained co-owner Shelby Handlin Hampton, deterring Glacier visitors from the outdoor activities that her shop supports. She predicted that “as soon as this smoke blows to the north, it’s going to be fine.”

In her view, however, the fire will subdue visitation for quite some time. “The smoke is killing business right now, and the fear is killing business for the future,” she said.

Twenty-five miles north of Apgar, Polebridge also was shrouded in smoke. But it was still a sought-after way station for those passing through the remote northwest portion of Glacier.

"We've actually gotten a little bit busier," said Cherstin Liny, lead bartender at the Northern Lights Saloon, in between serving backpackers and fire personnel. With other parts of the park closed, "we have a lot of the traffic filtering over this way."

One of those stopped was a bicyclist from northern California who was riding from Canmore, Alberta, to Steamboat Springs, Colorado, on a four-week bike tour. He'd begun the journey with a larger group on Aug. 14, and said that "it's been hazy like this constantly."

"I thought California was the only state that's on fire, until I landed in Canada and Banff was on fire, and now Montana's on fire, too,'' said the cyclist, Nico K., who did not want his full name used.

He was one of several intrepid people pedaling through the haze on Camas Creek Road, some of whom had wrapped bandanas around their lower faces. "We're all certainly very concerned about our health," he said, but "I personally don't think it's getting in the way."

Jim Coolidge, currently a part-time worker at the Polebridge Mercantile, is no stranger to these risks. "I got burned out in the Red Bench fire about 30 years ago," he said. "It just keeps going."

But, like Handlin, he said a fire can leave a lasting impression on visitors.

"You try and tell them...'Next year it'll be better,' and then you run into a guy who was here two years ago and says it was bad then."

The Southwest Area Type 1 Incident Team had crews working around structures in the Fish Creek Campground area and along the Inside North Fork Road to reduce fuels and to set up sprinkler systems, according to the park. Crews also are installing hoses and sprinklers to minimize potential fire spread toward the Going-to-the-Sun Road.

Sunday was relatively quiet for other fires burning in western Montana.

The Davis fire near Yaak consumed 6,032 acres and was 5 percent contained, fire officials said. No significant growth was expected overnight due to lower temperatures, smoke and cloud cover.

The Beaver Creek fire near Wisdom grew slightly to 2,067 acres Sunday and was 8 percent contained. But showers were predicted Sunday night and Monday, which could aid firefighting efforts.
Ridge fire

Vote the rascals out in November!!!

Cheers,

Mark

Ye Shall Be Free To Roam....

Glad I have this guy on Ignore, as I'd bet this is another Zinke rant tying the fire into him the way he does everything else in every thread he starts!

Last edited:
Does Mark realize that Zinke was appointed, not voted in, and that his appointee isn’t up for re-election until 2020?

Zinke has more real estate in your brain than the Wilks do in Montana

Meteor crashed in XYZ National Park. Zinke believed to use his Seal Team Space Balls developed by United States Space Force to shift the meteor's direction towards National Park.

4F02C13600000578-6054643-The_Perseid_meteor_shower_arrived_this_weekend_stunning_stargaze-m-1_15.jpg

:D

Meteor crashed in XYZ National Park. Zinke believed to use his Seal Team Space Balls developed by United States Space Force to shift the meteor's direction towards National Park.
Sytes, 'very clever and creative ... I like it!

Glad I have this guy on Ignore, as I'd bet this is another Zinke rant tying the fire into him the way he does everything else in every thread he starts!

Is it irony or insanity when a guy is the first to post on a thread from a guy he has on ignore?

Is it irony or insanity when a guy is the first to post on a thread from a guy he has on ignore?

Neither one, LOL, but it's just that's the only thing he ever posts is about how bad Zinke is and from that neat post that Sytes made I must have been pretty close in my guess!

OP I'm going out on a limb here to say that Zinke probably isn't a member of this forum. Maybe your efforts to reach him should be realigned.

Neither one, LOL, but it's just that's the only thing he ever posts is about how bad Zinke is and from that neat post that Sytes made I must have been pretty close in my guess!

Pretty simple solution to your problem...don't read the post and skip over it. Some of the articles this guy posts are interesting and can provide for reasonable discussion if you just look at the article and not the anti-Zinke rant he starts with

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back