Caribou Gear Tarp

2018 Idaho Antelope family hunt

Duck-Slayer

Started back in July when my wife and I found out that we drew early Idaho Antelope bow tags. We had planned on leaving thurs evening (08/16) but due to a mis-hap at the auto store the battery for the 4 wheeler did not fit. So Fri morning I had to go back to the auto parts store for the right one. We finally found ourselves on our way. Still did not know the location that we were going to hunt yet, I had three different areas in mind. on our way down I took a vote in the vehicle and both my children decided that we should go to Plan B spot because they had never been there nor has my wife, so it was decided that we were going to try the new spot. We found ourselves setting up camp at about 6 o’clock that evening, After we got camp set up I hopped on the four wheeler and went to sit two blinds up for the morning part. I set one up for my wife and daughter and I set another one up for my son and I.
The next morning found us up bright and early, all four of us load it up on the four wheeler and headed to the blinds. I drop my daughter and wife off at the first blind, and my son and I continued to our applied and got settled in for the morning.
514DB872-3A0C-4089-9A97-2E9B89928796.jpg
Shortly after we got settled in. There is not much excitement on the first day, most of the Antelope stayed at a distance because of the new lead so blind on the waterhole. And like typical small children along with the late night my son fell asleep in the blind.
EA31ECC2-336F-4DB7-8147-544CD139672B.jpg
He slept in the blind for an hour. Then he awoke to me telling him to be quiet because we had some antelope approaching the blind. It was no small buck and two fonds, I had decided I would shoot the first small buck that came in. They came to the edge of the water and out of the corner of my eye I spotted another antelope and it was a bigger buck coming to the opposite side of the water hole. I reposition myself and drew on the buck, he was really nervous and was pacing back-and-forth at the edge of the water hole, I than spotted a bigger buck watering slightly closer so I went to turn and shoot him and the cam on my bow scrapped the top of the blind and they both took off.....
Matt

Stay tuned

After the little snafu with my bow scratching the top of the blind and all the antelope taking off we decided to hang out until 1230 and then go check on my daughter and wife in the other blind about 3/4 of a mile away. At 12:15 we packed up all of our equipment and walked back to the four wheeler. We hopped on and ran over and picked up my wife and daughter. We chatted with them for a while and they had a great day, they saw over 40 antelope and a badger. Nothing came in close enough for her to get a shot, her max distance is 35 yards. And she had told me that Nothing came in closer than 90 yards. So we all loaded up onto the four wheeler again and headed back to camp for a few beers and sitting in the shade playing with the
804ACA1D-9D04-434C-95D7-DA075B714FDB.jpg
The evening hunt was not so great, neither of us had any antelope come close to our water holes that we were sitting on. Oh well onto day two of our antelope hunt.
Matt

Last edited:
Awesome, good luck! Love seeing the whole family out there, we do that too. I hope you guys have a great time and can connect on some bucks!

The next morning we were up and at it again, A little bit earlier than the day before since we were probably 20 min. late too the blind the morning before. Oh well the life hunting with kids lol.
Again my son and I dropped my wife and daughter off at there blind just before 7 am. My son and I than drove the 1/2 mile over the hill to the waterhole we were sitting on. And again there were about 11 antelope about a 100 yards from the blind. It was early enough this morning that they could not make out what we were and did not spook into the next county. My son and I climbed in the blind and began the wait.
Out the Left side 42 yard shot
IMG_3539_2.jpg
Out the Right side 52 yard shot
IMG_3540_2.jpg

We did not have to wait long and a yearling Doe made her way to one side of the waterhole and than all the way around and finally drank on the Left side of the waterhole.
IMG_3556_2.jpg

IMG_3558_2.jpg

After that yearling Doe came and got water without being harassed the group of 8 or so that were standing out about 200 yards saw this and decided it was ok to come in for some water. They came on a string but decided to water on the opposite side that the yearling just watered, which would make for a 52 yard shot. I adjusted my pin to 52 yards. I whispered to my son to stay still they were coming in to get water. They all paced a few times on the right side of the waterhole than slowly a Doe watered, than another, than another, finally the bigger of the 2 bucks decided it was time also. It was a steep quartering too me shot. Which i'm comfortable with on an antelope with the small bones and thin hide. I drew back and settled my pin just inside the near shoulder blade, released and heard a loud scratching/thump noise and watched my arrow sail 2 feet to the right...... they all took off in a hurry without getting a solid drink I figured the buck would be back. Keep this in mind for later. Took me a few minutes to figure out what happened, this is a pretty small blind, well to keep the roof from flapping in the wind I had tied a salted nut roll candy bar to the roof probably 12 years ago when I first go this blind LOL. My cam caught the candy bar and pulled the bow slightly to the right...... grrrr twice now this small blind cost me an antelope.
After that mishap there was not much action, those antelope spooked everything from the flat out of the country. Luckily it looked like a few headed over my wife and daughters way. We did get to see some sage grouse with not little one's and a vulture.
IMG_3562_2.jpg

IMG_3544_2.jpg

Again it was nap time for my son, he just couldn't take it anymore a passed out. In the mean time my wife was getting into some antelope. I did not know this till after the fact but that same buck that I missed because of a candy bar was the same buck that came into my wife's waterhole. That same bunch of antelope circled her blind out about 90 yards. Finally "the" buck couldn't take it anymore and came right in, my wife ranged the buck 22 yards, she dialed her pin, drew back, settled her pin and let it fly..... whack!, the good kind! The buck made it 60 yards staggered a fell over..... both my wife and daughter were crazy excited. After this happened they had to make the 1/2 mile walk over the hill to our waterhole to get us.
In the mean time I was watching another 3 Doe's come down off the hill to our waterhole. While my son was passed out on the floor of the small blind I was trying to figure out how to maneuver around him so that I could get a shot. Finally I got situated and those Doe's came right down around to the 52 yard side. I figured this was my last chance and better put some meat in the freezer. She came in slightly quartering to but not to bad. I drew settled my pin and "snap/whack". Sounded like somebody slapped the side of the blind, I looked and I didn't have the window zipped down enough and barely caught the blind window, so now I have a new hole in the blind...... I grabbed the bino's and the Doe was standing out there 90 yards hunched up. I got a good look at her and it was low right under the liver which means stomach..... crap. Well i woke my son up and he got to look out at her in the bino's while I punched my tag out for Aug. 19th. Might take a little bit but its a lethal hit. We got out of the blind and here come's my wife walking over the Dam and figured I got one also since we were out of the blind. And once I seen them both I knew she got one. I was so excited for her, this was her first antelope with her bow since I think 2008. Not going to bore you with anymore details but here are the glory shot's. I came back later that day and picked up my Doe, I didn't get a pic until after I had boned her out so it just a shot of my bow and the dirty head of the Doe.
Matt

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3587_2.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats to the whole family! Great job on creating life-long memories for everyone. Really surprised how nice the cape is on your wife's buck for this time of year.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back