Caribou Gear Tarp

Application service

Kiwi

I doubt many people on this forum use an application service but it’s something I am investigating. Im happy to pay the license and tag fees for low odd draws but the problem I have is paying the upfront fee in ID and WY. This is because I need to convert from $NZ to $US, and back again for the refund. This conversion is the most expensive part of the whole process. So, is there a good tag application service where they pay the fees upfront? Thanks.

I don't use one, but i have a CC that I put everything on and it turns out to be cheaper than the services. You should also know that a few years ago one of the major services had a major snafu and many people lost points that year.

I'm not sure if a Non Resident Alien can apply for US credit cards, there might be some but I know a lot have restrictions. If you plan on coming over a bunch and want to play the points game it might be worth it to open up a US bank account and put a couple thousand dollars in it just for applications.

Thanks for the suggestions. I use my NZ credit card and they charge huge fees. I also have a $US bank account here to reduce the conversions. But I can’t think of a way to pay using $US.

Barclays to the rescue?

What would happen if you open an international account/USA from NZ at your local Barclays. Pay a one time conversion fee and have your money in US Barclays account, but able to apply using those US funds. Score a tag, bring cash into USA to replenish the account. Or have Barclays move it for you. Of course there is a fee to do so, but if you fail in your tag application, the US money is put into your US account, ready to apply again, and safe from the reversal conversion fee.

we don’t have Barclays in NZ, but I like your thinking. A prepaid $US travel card might work and I’ll look into this. Thanks!

we don’t have Barclays in NZ,

Wow, I'm shocked that a major Commonwealth Nation wouldn't have a Barclays presence. Totally took it for granted that they would be there.

A quick internet search offers JPMorgan Chase and Citibank as viable options perhaps?

Not offen NZ get called a major nation :) it was a reasonable assumption as many commonwealth countries have banking ties to England but NZ and Oz are pretty self sufficient as far as banking goes.

I will look into the other banks you mentioned but I think a prepaid travel card is probably the best option. I have been to the local bank and it sounds promising. The offer a $US MasterCard based travel card.

NZ is waaaay more major than "my heart" country of Commonwealth member Kenya (and thus the familiarity with Barclays)

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back