PA bear hunting regulatioins

I was reading the PA bear hunting regulations from the PA Game Commission website and noticed something that will drastically change the way I plan on hunting. It appears that it is illegal to skin and quarter a black bear in the field in PA. This pretty much makes it impossible to pack the animal out on my back. Am I mistaken or are the PA bear hunting veterans that can confirm the check station wants/requires the carcass to be in tact.

"A successful bear hunter must complete all information on tag
and attach it to the bear’s ear immediately after harvest, and
before the carcass is moved. In addition, within 24 hours, each
hunter who harvests a bear must take the animal, along with his
or her hunting license and bear license, to a Game Commission
check station for examination. Bear check stations are listed in
this section. Bears should be field-dressed before being brought
to a check station, as Game Commission personnel do not need
to examine reproductive tracts. Check stations are open on each
day of the regular firearms bear season, and on select days of the
extended seasons. Hunters harvesting bears anywhere during
the statewide archery bear season, or during any early season
in WMUs 2B, 5B, 5C & 5D, should contact the appropriate region
office for instructions to have the animals checked. Hunters with
bears to be checked after check stations close on Nov. 21, or Dec.
3-8 in WMUs 2B, 5B, 5C & 5D, should contact the appropriate
region office. Once you have used your tag, it is unlawful to
possess it in the field. Keep in mind that if you purchase a bear
license through PALS online, you cannot hunt for bear until the
physical license is delivered to you with a harvest tag."

That would be true you are not allowed to skin and quarter a bear. You can do it with all other game. In Pa the drawback to skinning and quartering is you still have to bring out the whole hide.

I emailed the game commission last week on this topic and this is the reply i got:

"You can quarter the bear for transportation, and all parts must be brought to the check station."

I emailed the game commission last week on this topic and this is the reply i got:

"You can quarter the bear for transportation, and all parts must be brought to the check station."

true!! we have done it in the past

As you've discovered it is legal to skin and quarter the bear as long as you bring all the parts, minus entrails to the check station. It's not something you see everyday at a check station but it happens at least a few times per year

It is absolutely legal to quarter any big game animal in the field. If it is an animal that requires visiting a check station (bear,elk) , u need head, hide, and edible meat. Head serves as proof of sex for elk. Any further questions, feel free to pm me, as I have spoken to regional @ state level supervisors about this.

I have a friend who shot a 500+ pound bear in Potter County about 15 years ago. At that time, he was under the same impression that you couldn’t quarter a bear. He shot it around 2 pm and it took him and about 8 other people until 3 am to move it 1.5 miles to a logging road. Had he only known.

Brother in law in Pa.,yep'bring it all in pieces sept' for guts.Bear every year,don't know how he does it.:cool:

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back