What size/height bipod?

T Chris

So I've been considering a bipod for my antelope hunt and not sure what the conventional wisdom is on height. I realize it depends upon the grass or brush height, but what I'm asking is what do you guys/gals run for antelope hunting? Any preferences on brands and/or features?

My Harris bipod is the 12-25 height. 12 in is right for my prone shooting and the 25 in height works for sitting position. Spouse has the 13.5-27 that works for prone and seated shooting. I would make some shooting sticks like the african hunters use at different heights to see what you need.
We hear lots of good things about other brands too but Harris has worked great for us for 25 years. Not lightweight but mine hardly ever gets taken off of the rifle, I use it in the mountains and on the plains.
The adjustable length legs really come in handy when you have time to adjust them before a shot. I do not prefer the pivoting model but many do really like that feature.

I do not prefer the pivoting model but many do really like that feature.

As with much, personal preference varies. I really like the S version after you add the quick lever accessory - I like to get to a cant-free position on un-even ground.

I agree with th 13-27 size is versatile enough to adapt to most situations.

I just won a swagger bipod. Have not used it yet cause I am waiting for a new stock to arrive. From what I have seen though it should work great.

The Harris 12-25 is my personal choice. I wouldn't be on a rifle hunt without it!

What these guys are saying. 12 - 25/27 (whatever it is). Harris makes the best. There are cheaper ones out there. Also mentioned the quick release is worth it. I personally like the swivel model for uneven ground.

good luck to all
the dog

I personally prefer a 9"-13", anything taller has as much or more flex than shooting sticks. For seated shots I use sticks with or without my pack as a "rear bag" depending on distance. YMMV

I just couldn't like bipods. I felt like they were beneficial at the range, impractical for the field. To each his own though. For shots under 400 yards I have been very successful with this: https://www.amazon.com/Hammers-bung...id=1534774188&sr=8-4&keywords=shooting+sticks

Out past 400 I'm going prone over my pack. Like I said just one man's opinion.

I have those shooting sticks and I agree, the work great out to 300 - 350 yards for me. Anything out farther than that I shoot prone off my backpack.

Just to clarify on the Harris bipods, because the sizing can get confusing:

HBLS - 9" to 13" with swivel.

HB25S - 12" to 25" with swivel.

HB25CS - 13 1/2" to 27" with swivel.

Many people seem to be recommending one of those three. The 9-13 is the best of the three for prone shooting but isn't tall enough for sitting or kneeling shots. The 12-25 is IMO the best if you intend to use it for both sitting and prone. The 13.5-27 gets you a little extra height for sitting shots if you're a bigger guy but I find it to be just slightly too high for prone shots even though I'm 6'1".

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back