Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Scout to hunt?

Roughwater

I just saw a program you can purchase for your cell phone called "Scout To Hunt". The website claims to have many webcams per hunting unit that help you scout a hunting unit. Supposadly you can view recent pictures taken of various wild game taken with the webcams which list the general area the pictures came from. Ideally seems like a powerful scouting tool. Anyone have any experience with it?

While that may work for some, nothing is more powerful, or beats getting out yourself, and scouting an area. Being there, trumps a program.

Depending on how many people use it you could find lots of company in their locations.

Not cool in my mind. Cams all over public land and they are selling that info. Sounds like the Monster Mulies guy and hopefully Wyoming gets our law passed that requires a license for that service.
I agree with Mallardsx2.

Sounds like something for lazy people.

Lazy as a fox! :rolleyes:

Appreciate the input all of you! I was thinking it felt like a step into the grey area of what is fair chase. Also I wasn't sure if there was an element of scam in it? How do you put many cameras in every game unit and moniter and tend to them all? It would take a large network of folks in many states to set something up like this and maintain it.

Be better off to put an ad in the Jobs section of craigs list and see if you can find a desperate photographer to go take pics of animals in accessible parts of your unit really cheap if you were going down that road.

Won't be long until you can fly a drone over your unit from anywhere in the country with an internet connection.

Yeah I'll never spend a red cent for anything like this. Man what are we headed for in the future?

This was talked about last summer on here I believe. I believe it is illegal in WY, but don't quote me on that. I hope it becomes illegal in MT.

That's one of the reasons NV just passed a law banning game cameras from Aug. 1st to Dec. 31st. Cameras around waterholes and springs are just getting out of hand.

I have found almost every one of my nr hunting spots from my recliner. Watch randy's YouTube e-scouting series and you'll do just fine.

I have found almost every one of my nr hunting spots from my recliner. Watch randy's YouTube e-scouting series and you'll do just fine.

I've been watching it bob. Randy's tips look like they should be super helpful.

For what it's worth I ordered the Utah Onx maps chip about a week ago. It should be arriving today. I have used onx as far back as 2012 when I hunted Colorado. I've had a subscription to NC on my phone for sometime but it's just for NC but even so I've been able to go their website and look at different Utah units but the map didn't seem to have all the data it should. It would show me the unit outline but not the land ownership. Anyway, I'm hoping when I get the Utah chip today and register, it I will allow me to have more info on Utah units.
But watching Randy's E-scouting made me think about what I had sometimes been doing wrong on past hunts. My last hunt was in Idaho LoLO units 10 and 12. I've never seen such straight up and down landscape. Most places I was reluctant to get off the trail and everywhere else I couldn't get off the trail safely as it was really that steep. So the few Elk there have lots of santuaries due to the terrain.

Easy now, don't lump Texas in with that enterprise. Not every place down there is high fenced.

Wasn't saying they all were but I mean...the google agrees...
2018-08-21_8-28-17.jpg

I guess could have just as easily said Ohio... but I feel pretty justified throwing high fence shade at the state that has more privately owned tigers than there are in the wild world wide.

I received a couple of marketing emails from them a while ago (I have no idea where they got my email address). While unsubscribing I explained that I was completely against their service and felt similar actions were not in the best interest of the hunting community.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back