Caribou Gear

Shooting Positions

VikingsGuy

Before I ask, I acknowledge that in the field there are countless shooting positions possible and sometimes required - IRL there are more exceptions than rules. That being said, in eastern WY (antelope unit 9), what positions would you guess are viable for most situations. For example, prone off a backpack is very stable, but unless you are on a high point shooting down I would guess grass/brush will be in the way. How about shootting off an upright backpack? Does sitting get you high enough? Or are you stuck often standing and off of sticks due to need for height? etc?

I ask, as I would like to make sure I am practice my most likely positions. The common one for us in MN (sitting in a tree) will not be an option this time.

Thanks.

Prone off your pack might be an option, I've seen many times when you use the terrain to sneak up on an animal and you crest a ridge or rise in the terrain with a downhill shot. Certainly practice seated and kneeling off your pack or bi-pods as that will often be the shot as well.

Obviously depends on the height of the vegetation. Short grass prairie can be conducive to prone with a pack. Sitting is good as well.

I think I've shot every one of my antelope sitting. Prone is ideal but like you stated the sage/grass can certainly be tall. I would practice sitting, kneeling and prone. I also like to have a bipod attached to my 'lope gun.

While out in Wyoming every year I always sit and shoot off my tripod that I carry for my camera and spotting scope. It's about as good as shooting off the bench for me.

Good to hear that sitting is often an option. Prone off a bipod or pack is almost as good as a bench for me, and I feel pretty good about sitting and shooting off up-right pack or longer bipod, but once I kneel it starts to get a little shaky (and standing is worse).

I used to carry a bipod but after about 5 years of not using it I now leave it at home.

Sitting, prone, or resting on a backpack should really be all the positions you need in Wyoming, and if the grass is too high and blocking your view, that is your signal to crawl closer until the grass is out of the way.

Seated, sling supported is the position I’ve practiced the most followed by prone off a bipod, kneeling and seated with a tripod.

Last edited:
Any rest is useful. I always pack a tripod & scope, and often shoot from tripod or scope turned sideways.

Every antelope I've harvested has been shot either prone or sitting with a bipod.

Before I ask, I acknowledge that in the field there are countless shooting positions possible and sometimes required - IRL there are more exceptions than rules. That being said, in eastern WY (antelope unit 9), what positions would you guess are viable for most situations. For example, prone off a backpack is very stable, but unless you are on a high point shooting down I would guess grass/brush will be in the way. How about shootting off an upright backpack? Does sitting get you high enough? Or are you stuck often standing and off of sticks due to need for height? etc?

I ask, as I would like to make sure I am practice my most likely positions. The common one for us in MN (sitting in a tree) will not be an option this time.

Thanks.

Some years back for chits n giggles I sat thru a hunter ed course. The guy who did the muzzleloader part said the following. "I don't understand why so many hunt in a tree. In all the years I've hunted, I've never seen a deer in a tree." I guess he couldn't understand the distinction between hunting FROM a tree and hunting IN a tree.

Majority have been sitting with crossed trekking poles used as shooting sticks, or "real" shooting sticks. Prone opportunities using a pack for a support have been few and far between but they are nice when do happen. Prepare and practice sitting with sticks of some kind as it is a great "default" option.

I think well over half of mine were taken from the sitting position and the rest prone. At first glance you would think prone all the way looking at the country antelope inhabit, but I've found that more often than not there's always some sagebrush or slight terrain feature that prevents a clear shot when prone.

I've only managed to kill one antelope from prone position. Took all afternoon to make it happen too. Shooting off of sticks from sitting is the most common position for me and any game animal.

Lived in Wyoming my whole life, there have been very few times where sitting just wouldn't work. I would suggest finding the position that works best for you and then adjust your hunt to accommodate that. Yes, Wyoming can be flat but if you take the time to look at your terrain you can almost always find a place that will work for you style of shooting

The last antelope I shot was from kneeling using my pack...not as stable as I wanted but it worked. I opted to buy a cheap, light set of shooting sticks for kneeling or sitting as removing your pack may not be an option if a shot must be quicker than you expect. Carrying them around is nothing and quickly becomes second nature.

It may not hurt to shoot with your pack on also as the straps may affect your shooting position and cheek weld.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back