Dimpled case necks

Addicting

I just ditched the RCBS lube pad in favor of Oneshot to reduce this issue. I have a dozen or so Norma brass with dimples in the neck I set aside for the recycling pile. If I reload them and use them as fouling shot loads will they be fine? Will the dimples push back out or should the brass just get tossed?

Tony

I would go ahead and load em up. I use Oneshot as well and it's best to let cases sit for a few minutes after you spray them. I've had a couple dented cases after sizing because I got in a hurry and oversprayed a little bit and sized them wet. Now I usually do all my case prep and lube them, then set them aside for my next reloading session and load the cases I prepped from the previous session. I label every batch and keep them separate so I can keep track of how many reloads I have on those cases.

Thanks everyone.

Being a newer reloaded I am still getting my SOP adjusted. I started case prepping batches as well so I have a rotation count.

Throw the Oneshot into the garbage can and get some resizing wax. A little dab between your thumb and fore/middle fingers is all you need.

https://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/79-imperial-lubricants

Take the expander out of the sizing die and hide it where you won't find it. Deprime your cases with a decapper die. FL size/resize without the expander and let the seated bullet expand the neck back up. Seems dumb to unnecessarily work the brass by squeezing down the necks and then expanding them back up again. The extra neck tension/bullet pull won't hurt. Unless you're a real klutz you shouldn't have any trouble with crumpled necks.

One shot works well if you know what you are doing. mtmuley

Wax is much easier to clean. Wipe the case with a paper towel and throw it in the tumbler. But to each their own. The wax is also good to put a dab on the inside of your bolt lugs every cleaning or 20 or so rounds.

Take your sizing die apart and inspect and clean it. You'd be surprised how many people do not clean their dies and have a bunch of dried up gunk from previous reloadings.
As far as using Onestuck spray - there are better alternatives.

Take your sizing die apart and inspect and clean it. You'd be surprised how many people do not clean their dies and have a bunch of dried up gunk from previous reloadings.

Sized hundreds and hundreds of RUM cases with Onestuck. Problems are almost invariably operator error. But yeah, cleaning dies is a good plan. I use a gun spray that evaporates. mtmuley

After I started noticing the dimples I took it apart and cleaned it with hot water to remove the built up lube and grime. I didn’t realize how nasty it had gotten since the last cleaning. To help cut down on the grime I picked up a Franklin arsenal tumbler to help clean the cases up better before I resize. I had just been using boiling soapy water and vinegar with nickel cases.

Everyone has their preferences and out of the various ones I've tried I use OneShot on thousands of rounds a year. It's a good idea to clean the dies too. Addicting, I'd say clean your dies and keep using your brass. Also, I'm a fan of really clean brass (it has to be shiny) and use a wet tumbler with stainless steel pins for cleaning.

Last edited:

Onestuck? Sounds like operator error, I have sized thousands of cases with it and never stuck a case or had an issue.

After I started noticing the dimples I took it apart and cleaned it with hot water to remove the built up lube and grime. I didn’t realize how nasty it had gotten since the last cleaning. To help cut down on the grime I picked up a Franklin arsenal tumbler to help clean the cases up better before I resize. I had just been using boiling soapy water and vinegar with nickel cases.

A proper sized patch wet with a little charcoal starter fluid cleans up your die just like that. Or you can use one of those shotgun bore mops in .410 or 20 gauge with a little solvent. The bore mops can also be used to swab out your rifle chamber. They can be cleaned and reused by wetting with some water and work in a few drops of liquid dish soap. Rinse well with warm water and air dry. Also get yourself a box of those cheap disposable food gloves like they use at Subwat, et. You can find them on eBay or Amazon for $5-6 a box.

ZDOBZ9l.jpg

I spent some time tonight full length resizing 108 6.5 cases sprayed with one shot a few days ago. There is no comparison, I’m never going back to RCBS lube pad. I could imagine one getting stuck with how easy they process thru the press.

Thanks for all the help. Tony

Back