Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ruger mini 14 Ranch Rifle??

pointingdogsrule

So a nice guy on another thread alerted me of a sale at Walmart. They still have a Mini 14 Ranch Rifle for $399.00. Way below list of $785.00. I know nothing about the gun.... other then it look fun to shoot :) Any comments on the gun would be appreciated. "you can never have enough guns" :)

good luck to all
the dog

Last edited:
I've heard they have qaqc problems. I was looking at them several yrs ago and was told buy an old one. Kinda like a jm stamped marlin opposed to current ones.

I spend many years with the government model mini 14, which I do believe is nothing more than the ranch rifle with a different barrel and sight configuration. Depending on what your intended use of it will be it can be a pretty nice gun, I was a trainer for the MDOC for over 20yrs, and that's was one of the service weapons we used. If u want to compare it to the AR platform of the day I would say it was more dependable than the AR when it was dirty. The gas system is based on the garand/M14 style. If your looking for a sniping rifle there are better platforms on the market, if your just looking for a plinking rifle it should fit your needs with very little care...

I have one of the old models and it is incredibly accurate with the factory peep site. Very fun to shoot. Love it!

I hope by now you are at Wal Mart signing the papers on one of the last 14's at $399 available.

That's what I was really looking for when I went, but ended up with a .243 for my daughter as they hadn't had a 14 in weeks they said because they sold out when first put on sale.

They're a ton of fun to shoot and while the old ones might have been maid a little better I wouldn't hesitate to own any Ruger firearm especially at that price.

I hope by now you are at Wal Mart signing the papers on one of the last 14's at $399 available.

That's what I was really looking for when I went, but ended up with a .243 for my daughter as they hadn't had a 14 in weeks they said because they sold out when first put on sale.

It was there last night at 10 PM. No one knew of the sale. Did end up getting 2 Savages last night for $199.00.

good luck to all
the dog

I have a series 181 Mini 14. I love it. It is accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot. I have only 2 negatives to say about it. #1 is the rifle barrel has to be cleaned from the muzzle, which means you have to be real careful when you push the patch/jag, or brush into it to prevent any damage to the crown. If you only use a bore snake to clean your rifle barrel, then this will be a non-issue (maybe except for fighting to get the bore snake into the chamber end). The 2nd negative is the magazine has to be "rocked" when inserting it into the magwell. It doesn't just slide straight in like an AR platform. It is a little slower to change mags than with an AR platform. The Ranch model has (or used to have) a flash suppressor, and a bayonet lug, which makes it "look" cooler than the regular Mini 14 (my opinion only). If you haven't already bought it, I SUGGEST YOU HEAD DOWN THERE RIGHT NOW AND SCOOP IT UP!!

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back