Women’s hunting apparel

Alaska81

I live in Alaska and I’m a novice hunter who is looking for good apparel. Most of the hunting I do is in an ATv to the location with sitting and glassing, sometimes spot and stalk. Some of what I’m looking for is warmth, wind resistant, water resistance, durability, comfort, and fit. What is everyone wearing? Why do you like it? Pros? Cons? Thanks in advance!

I’ve really been happy with the few pieces I’ve picked up from First Lite. The wool tops are comfortable and warm, the sizing seems decent. They don’t (or didn’t when I was shopping) have a huge women’s line yet. Waiting for some warmer pants and expanded offerings. I have some of the older Prois stuff- not bad, but I’m dying to see some of their revamped line. The old line also came in a good variety of sizes and was warm. The outerwear keeps me dry and cuts the wind well. I have not tried any of the women’s Sitka so can’t comment.

With 3 ladies to outfit with gear in a addition to myself our budget cant do the top of the line common brands but my girls have found the Cabelas OutfitHer series to be very comfortable, warm and quiet.

I’ve been looking at the Prois line myself... my husband only wears FirstLite so he’s being partial.. Prois seems pretty good. Thank you for the info on both of these brands!

I’ve been looking at the Prois line myself... my husband only wears FirstLite so he’s being partial.. Prois seems pretty good. Thank you for the info on both of these brands!

I really like the looks of the new Prois camo pattern. I’m hoping maybe they’ve brought the quality of the gear up a notch, like the promo material suggests. It was way better than the Cabela’s stuff, but not quite up to First Lite and Sitka quality.

I totally agree on the First Lite gear being awesome. However, if you happen to be a curvier lady (like myself) I'd recommend ordering from the men's line.

You can get a ton of great gear online through Rokslide that's gently used and typically at a decent discount. I got myself a jacket from First Lite for $60 off of retail that had been worn a few times by the previous owner before deciding they wanted something new. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have specific questions on how to find deals and what not (I look at a couple of different websites as well).

I know this is an old post, but I’m new to posting anything, I noticed no one mentioned Sitka. I got into Sitka subalpine gear for my archery tag last fall and have since gotten into their waterfowl gear too lately and it’s been awesome. I’m dang hard on gear and it’s held up. Other than ordering things a size larger than I usually would their gears been great. Not to say anything negative about firstlite or any of the other brands.

Got into First Lite last couple of years really like their clothing. But! I do not buy women's cut clothing. I find the shirts usually aren't wide enough in the shoulders and I feel I'm not out there to impress the deer and elk.
But have Cabela's items, bought some great sweaters from Costco for next to nothing and so forth. I buy what is usually on sale or I buy next years winter clothing when everything goes on sale just before the summer items come in and the stores want to clear everything out.
Carhart makes some good stuff stuff now a days too..

My wife also likes her First Lite gear. It is warm and comfortable, which at the end of the day is all you need to go hunting.

That said, it seems like good gear that is not chauvinistically pink is VERY hard to find in women's sizes (this applies to all gear, not just clothing).

My wife has tiny hands, and as a result, good shooting gloves have been hard to find. Anyone out there who has had and solved this issue? I snagged her a pair of kuiu guide gloves in the smalles size they make, and even those are a tad big.

The best camo for where we antelope hunt are desert storm bdu’s. We wash them in a water repellant product.
seems like nobody makes a light enough pattern for se wyo.
all the pockets are a plus.
scored some really cool digital jackets at goodwill recently and are going to give them a try. They are Air Force pattern.
in all, our entire hunting outfits are 10$
she looks like a badass in her camo.

I am looking for plus sized women's clothing. Being 5'10" with a big booty leaves me with very limited options. All my hunting pants and jackets are men's so they are gigantic in the waist. Are there any good manufacturers?

Some of my friends use Sporty Girl. They have plus sizes and some really interesting leggings and jeans in plus sizes.

Hey I know this is an old thread, but I hope I can give some insight. My wife loves, absolutely loves prois. She has tried the she outdoors, among others and it didn't really work for her. But for an active hunting climate, prois is amazing. It's fairly lightweight, and relativity affordable. My wife has just about every piece of gear they have made. She 100% recommends prois, and if your scared to buy online, most scheels have it in store.

I’m debating starting a women’s hunting gear line. Hoping for input on what females wear now, what they like and dislike about it. As a female who can’t ever find anything in my size, I’ve gotten frustrated trying to find anything. I’ve worn kids bibs for the past five years!

If anyone would like to message me with some feedback, feel free. What issues you have with fit, what kind of layers you wear or would like, what kind of boots you wear. Any input is welcome.

I’m debating starting a women’s hunting gear line. Hoping for input on what females wear now, what they like and dislike about it. As a female who can’t ever find anything in my size, I’ve gotten frustrated trying to find anything. I’ve worn kids bibs for the past five years!
several members ask me to respond and my first thought is

Good for you ! I love entrepreneurs ! During my active hunting years I didn't have the options that are available to women today and therefore I either had my clothes custom made, or had mens clothing alerted to fit me.

So, I ask my granddaughters and their response's were -- Forloh, Sitka, DSG, Prois, First Lite and one said she loved the all weather jacket she got from Canada Goose .

If you should travel to Georgia or Florida try to set aside some time to visit Kevin's, not just for the clothes, although they have some for women, but other hunting items as well.

Good luck !

Brent, Harley, Ben Lamb, you guys (and others ) would also enjoy this store. ( Kevin's Guns--for you guys )

Last edited:
several members ask me to respond and my first thought is

Good for you ! I love entrepreneurs ! During my active hunting years I didn't have the options that are available to women today and therefore I either had my clothes custom made, or had mens clothing alerted to fit me.

So, I ask my granddaughters and their response's were -- Forloh, Sitka, DSG, Prois, First Lite and one said she loved the all weather jacket she got from Canada Goose .

If you should travel to Georgia or Florida try to set aside some time to visit Kevin's, not just for the clothes, although they have some for women, but other hunting items as well.

Good luck !

Brent, Harley, Ben Lamb, you guys (and others ) would also enjoy this store. ( Kevin's Guns--for you guys )
April, I love you. I can always depend on you to put a smile on my face :)

Without a doubt a Canada Goose Jacket will work for anyone headed for cold weather. My hero Lance MacKey wears one when he races. when time permits I will get blood drawn and I would appreciate it if you would do the same, as I am positive I am a long lost granddaughter !

David, Gil, and all other left hand individuals on the forum, there is a left handed 30-06 double rifle with your name on it at Kevins. I know this because I was looking for a specific lever action rifle and ask April a few weeks ago and she guided me to Kevin;s

Please accept my apologizes for the thread hijack. As to female clothes, we do still make some of our own from animals we harvest but tailoring mens clothes to fit is done as well.

Please let us know what you decide to do and for sure if you start a company, (and if Big Fin says it is o.k. for you to promote your new business here) let us know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back