Boot Break In....

Quest1000

I have a new pair of Cabelas Meindl Denali’s, I’m looking for your suggestion on boot break in.

Soak and walk? Lace tight/loose? Throw some unicorn dust on em?!

If you have your sock combination figured out. Get out and start walking in them. My sock combo is a silk sock liner and rei expedition sock. I'm wearing Kenetrek mountain extreme's.

If you have your sock combination figured out. Get out and start walking in them. My sock combo is a silk sock liner and rei expedition sock. I'm wearing Kenetrek mountain extreme's.

Thanks. I’ll be using a liner sock with wool socks. my feet sweat like crazy! Liners are foxriver and wool socks are from Costco. Lol

Back in the USMC you did the soak and wear them dry thing. I wouldn't do that with your Meindls. I put some leather conditioner on them, then put about 25 miles on them and they feel broke in.

I used to stand in a tub soak them and then walk them dry,easy enough in Az...My new boots I thoroughly saturated them with Filson wax nothing else,after about 25 mi. they are very supple and almost 100% waterproof.(HI-TEC):cool:

Thanks guys! I had a former military guy also suggest to soak boots and walk around. I just thought with these boots that might not be the best option.

I would apply a generous application of leather treatment (bee’s wax, etc.) and either stick them out in the sun a hot summer’s day or use a blow dryer to heat the “wax” and let it soak into the leather. Then wear them around.

What I do, here in Montana, is pick a hot July or August day. Generously apply the “wax” and let it set and soak in for any hour or so (I keep an eye on them, as to not dry them out). The side of the boot that is facing the direct sunlight will melt and soak in first, so I rotate the boots until it have rotated them 360 degrees. You would be amazed how quickly the “wax” soaks into the leather in the hot sun. I buy my “wax” from Schnee’s located in Bozeman. I know Kenetrek sells their version, as well. Both good products.

You can apply one day and go on a hike the next, repeat if necessary.

Good luck.

I dont lace my boots very tight while they are new. Wear them and treat them every so often. I wouldn’t fill them with water and wear them dry like was common in years past. Good way to end up with jungle rot on your feet.

I put some boot wax on and set them in the sun today. I’m surprised at how much this helped to relax the leather. It’s the best they have felt yet. Thanks for the advice guys.

Back