Metal or Wrapped Canvas Prints

2rocky

When you have a photo you want to display in your home without a frame, do you prefer a Metal print or Wrapped canvas?

With metal prints the brilliant surface offers a richness of color that makes viewers take notice. But they also solve the "problem" of framing. Traditional mounting, matting, and framing can be a time consuming and expensive process. Not so with Metal Prints, the metal surface is naturally smooth and rigid, and with a hanger attached to the back, they are ready to hang right out of the box. This is a great choice for a ready to hang contemporary piece of wall art at a more economical price.

Canvas Gallery Wraps offer a superb way to display your photographs. What makes canvas wraps so popular is that they eliminate the need (and cost) of framing. Your Canvas Wrap is ready to hang on your wall, right out of the box. Once you see your Canvas Wrap, you'll understand why these are one of the most popular trends in decor and display. Canvas wraps are also a great option if you have a room that received a lot of glare. The canvas won't reflect the light like a traditional glass or acrylic frame will.

I've used the canvas via Costco in a shadow box frame(?). A few by HT members great photography skills! (All with consent / $ paid.)

Side note: I had one canvas w/o shadow frame though when compared to the ones in the frame, I immediately placed that one in frame. I disagree with the write-up regarding canvas w/o frame... Though, "art" is evaluated by the eyes of the owner.

Last edited:
Metal prints really make a photo 'pop' and even though they are a bit spendy, that's my preference. The ones I've done had the hangers on the back that also make the photo float off the wall a ways.

Metal prints + bright natural light = bad glare. But glossy canvas does that too. The metal prints just look sharp and modern, they really look good just about anywhere. Canvas can look like you're trying to be artsy. When doing frame less bigger is better.

Depends on the picture, the location being hung and the overall "feel" you are trying to create - both can be great if you pair up the right picture/location.

I've used the canvas via Costco in a shadow box frame(?). A few by HT members great photography skills! (All with consent / $ paid.)

Side note: I had one canvas w/o shadow frame though when compared to the ones in the frame, I immediately placed that one in frame. I disagree with the write-up regarding canvas w/o frame... Though, "art" is evaluated by the eyes of the owner.

Where are you getting framed from. I have several canvas prints and they have been aggravating me since I put them up lol

Bay Photo looks really good. I have some from hunts I want to have made but I want them pretty large and they’re expensive so I haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
I think Costco is a little cheaper but I’m not sure how their quality is.

Where are you getting framed from. I have several canvas prints and they have been aggravating me since I put them up lol

I've had them framed within the canvas process via Costco online however for the one I needed the shadow frame - Michaels. There are frequent coupons for 50%+.

The options and quality at Bay photo is just amazing, sign up for the newsletter and you will get some discount codes.

FWIW, I've always been happy with the quality of prints and canvas prints from Costco. I've done a handful of metal prints from Bay Photo and have really liked those too. If I want the most in detail and color, I go with a metal print.

I've seen some canvas prints and they all looked nice, but, to expensive for my blood. I've never seen a metal print and honestly no desire to. If your only reason for canvas or metal is cost as opposed to framing, you should really rethink you thought! Just how many picture do you actually hang on your wall? I'd venture a guess, not many! My wall's are completely covered with framed photos, did them myself and cost was really low. Print and frame my own for less than you can have a canvas or metal print done. If your serious about putting to many photo's on your walls, you can find a good 13" printer and a few shot tools without breaking the bank. My printer's will print canvas, not a clue about metal, probably not! I can print any size, even special size's, up to 13"x26" for less than a commercial print will cost! Everybody probably has at least one friend with a few shop tools that could easily learn to make you nice frames. So if your desire for canvas or metal is based on cost of framing, you loose!

I am pretty much done mounting animals. It’s a waste of money and space. I moved on to euros, hides ect coupled with what started out with high quality professionally matted and frame prints. Since moving to metal and Acrylic prints with all the options available for them they been both as cost saving and improvement over professional framing. However I still feel framing has its place, there are some really unique custom options. Keep in mind they have mounts for everything, desks, walls ect ect.

From a cost perspective vs doing it yourself, a place like Bay photo is a bargain.

Just to follow up, I printed two photos of a NM Aspen grove(Summer and Fall) 24x48 panoramic on canvas with no frame in my Kitchen. The counters are white with black specks like the trunks of the aspen trees. It looks cool...

I love the look of the metal prints. Costco.com has them for pretty cheap and they will ship them right to your door. I think they turn out way better than a standard photo print in a frame.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back