Dry Sacks

Duwammer

I'm wondering if you guys use dry sacks for your gear when packing in.

If so, do you find any certain name brand better than others.

I use one, but only if heavy moisture is in the forecast. I have mostly used Sea to Summit, Integral Designs(not a drybag closure), and OR, all have been sufficient.

for land backpacking (ie, not canoe trip), I just use trash compactor bags. Very thick, durable and much cheaper than dry sacks.

My only experience is with OR dry sacks. I use them for duck hunting out of the boat. Gloves, extra cloths, shells, etc...

I also use them for backing trips in the summer when rain is almost always expected. Extra clothes go in it and compress well. I will also store my sleeping bag in it when I have camp set up and go wandering. Piece of mind I will have a dry sleeping bag if there is a tent failure.

So my only experience is with OR sacks, but for the price and weight, they are a value to me. Promotive gave me a good deal.

I've used sea to summit for horse back hunts in BC, actually two 35 liter bags. I also use KUIU's dry sack to pack my clothes and etc. they work great for compressing your clothing and removing the air. I also use the larger KUIU sack as a pillow filled with a coat / towel!

Through hikers have been using compactor trash liners for years and they spend up to six months dealing with the elements. There's a lot we can learn from their experience.

Thanks for the replies.

Heading to Wyoming in a couple weeks. Not my hunt this year. I'm going for the moral support. (Help pack elk out).

This year the decision was made to pack in and stay for a few days. Looking forward to another exciting trip.

Compactor bags work well as a pack liner, the reason I prefer dry bags is I generally only want my sleeping bag and a couple spare pieces of insulation in it--which only takes up a few liters. I don't want excess plastic material to work around digging in my pack. I also like a drybag closure. Compactor bags are a great option though, and a pack liner can be a great strategy too.

Compactor bags work well as a pack liner, the reason I prefer dry bags is I generally only want my sleeping bag and a couple spare pieces of insulation in it--which only takes up a few liters. I don't want excess plastic material to work around digging in my pack. I also like a drybag closure. Compactor bags are a great option though, and a pack liner can be a great strategy too.

^ Exactly, I run a dry bag for thinks that really need to stay dry and if it's going to be super rainy I bring a pack cover. I always bring a contract bag when hunting to use as a ground cloth/tarp but they kinda suck as a bag liners as in can make it difficult to find what you want in your back also they work better with a top opening bag than a vertical sip bag like a SG.

I have an assortment of roll top and zip dry bags. I store everything in dry bags. Mostly for organization and the roll tops for flexibility.

Sea to summit has a bunch of options and the 2 I have are fantastic.

I only keep my survival gear in them though as I do not want any chance of those supplies getting wet even the slightest bit.

I use the integrated dry bag for my exo pack, which I love. I am also bringing some Kuiu dry bags this year to keep food dry when we hang it (keep away from bears). I'll let you know what I think after the hunt.

I have Amazon cheapos and they work just fine. They're not all that big or anything, but they're big enough to put my down sleeping bag and a set of clothes in. I try not to let my backpack get wet enough that it matters all that much, but if it does get wet those do a good enough job as a second defense. In my experience, unless you're on a canoe trip or something like that with a high chance of getting swamped, the cheapos work just fine. Make sure you have a rain cover for your backpack first.

If you're going to be hanging them by themselves in the elements, obviously that changes things.

My pack is very water resistant since it has x-pac fabric and I havent met anything that has gotten through that yet but inside that I use a two layer system, main one that lines my backpack is a cheap trash compactor bag. Everything goes inside that that I dont want wet, then all my down goes in a sealine dry bag. All the raft guides I know swear buy them - same company that owns MSR and thermarest owns them. This is the one I use, I love the see through fabric and the air vent so I can compress the down in it quite a bit and can leave my other stuff sacks at home.

https://www.seallinegear.com/dry-bags/discovery-view-dry-bag

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back