First time fishing for Pike, Walleye and Smallmouth

2rocky

I've been invited on a corporate trip this September to Manitoba, fishing out of a lodge for Pike,Walleye, and Smallmouth Bass. Growing up I always preferred to hunt so I never developed much skill as an angler. It is going to be on a big river in 18 ft boats. Any suggestions on fishing for these species (with a guide).

Oh and one more thing. This trip isn't on my dime. Should I tip the guide myself anyway? I'm not sure exactly what the trip cost so I don't have a good way to calculate the percentage.

Seriously I can catch the smallest fish on any trip.....

555412_4138114539863_1120561664_n.jpg

Last edited:
I would find out what guide your employer will be using and call and ask if you should bring your own tackle along or not. Most cases that answer is no, you don't need to and some guides prefer that you don't. Maybe ask others that have been on the trip before. Otherwise as far as techniques, etc, the guide will determine how and where you will be fishing and for what species as the day goes, so it's best to just go with the flow as they should know best. If it was a DIY trip I would say yes, sweat the details, but on a guided trip just show up with rain gear, sunglasses and lunch and enjoy the day! Also, yes I think you should tip the guide yourself if he is a decent guy and does a good job. The only time I wouldn't would be if the Corp. that is taking you specifically tells you not to because they are already covering that. Enjoy and share some pics when you get back.

Sounds like a blast!! Walleye is delicious and pike is also good eating if done right. I agree with everything Muskeez said. If you have a favorite rod and reel....bring it.....you never know. As far as tackle is concerned.....the guide should have you taken care of. Should be a blast!! All 3 species are fun to catch...especially pike!! Post pictures when you get back!

Echo the advice given. Your company is clearly doing well and you are a vital part.

The fishing typically doesn't get much easier than that. I'm heading up Nort this coming weekend. Usually all we bring with is a whole bunch of jigs with twister tails in bright colors and a few spoons along with a decently sturdy spinning rod or two. He'll most likely just have you dropping the jig off the side of the boat on rock piles this time of year, so be prepared for a whole lot of fish for the amount of work you have to put in. Have fun!

I have to also add that they're going to taste excellent. I'm guessing almost every guide up there does a shore lunch with walleyes, so you're in for a treat. There's not a whole lot better than the taste and view.

One word of advice - bring long pants and boots. The black flies can be hell.

Last edited:
Back from being OOT in a BOOT. Good time...

My best fish were a 17 inch Smallmouth, 23 inch walleye, and 25 inch Pike. Out of all the guys fishingour boat had the hardest time catching a decent Pike, while the other boats all caught mostly Pike and walleyes. Best fish of the group was 18 inch smallmouth, 26.5 inch Walleye and 39 inch Pike.

42421714_10217086095613225_3927553012993622016_n.jpg

42758694_10217119906218469_3267262745409486848_n.jpg

42870034_10217119906378473_6894900318132240384_n.jpg

The best Walleye of the trip with my boatmate...

42678840_10217106264437433_1837075516725657600_n.jpg

Sounds like a blast!

Do they provide rod/reels and tackle? If so, ***Rule #1... Heed the guide's advise. Rule #2, refer to rule #1.

If you pack all... My standard arsenal includes;
Smallies: Yamamoto soft bait 4" wacky style.

Pike: Storm soft bait shad and baby pike. Remove treble hook off bottom of baby pike. Just use the top single hook. It allows you to bump the bottom without catching all the salad.

You want some real wild fun, there is a topwater baby duck that has twin rotating paddles for fins. Wicked fun to watch those alligators whomp out of the water!

I can't speak for walleye.

2 rods... Hvy weight for pike. Med weight for smallies.
*Heavy weight reel filled with 30+ # braided > wire leader > bait.
*Medium-weight reel filled with 10+ # monofilament.

Look forward to the pictures and stories! Sounds like a great time!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back