Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

BHA article

mtmiller

A burgeoning sportsmen's group is young, politically diverse and social media savvy, according to a new demographic survey from Backcountry Hunters & Anglers.

Nearly 70 percent of BHA's members are 45 or younger, the survey of more than 2,000 members showed. The results also demonstrated that the group of sportsmen and women does not affiliate overwhelmingly with one political party. Of the survey's respondents, 33 percent identified as independent, 23 percent as Republican, 20 percent as Democratic, 16 percent as "none of the above" and 8 percent who did not list a political affiliation.

The organization's membership, which now stands at 24,000, has doubled every year since 2013. BHA sent the demographic survey to more than 13,500 members this past spring and captured a 15 percent response rate.

"With elections looming in the fall, both current and prospective politicians should take heed of the growing voice that is public lands sportsmen and women — and Backcountry Hunters & Anglers — in policies they pursue," said BHA President and CEO Land Tawney in a statement about the survey released this month. "We hunt and we fish. And we vote public lands and waters."

BHA is known for its regular social gatherings and "pint nights" around the country that attract young people who like to hunt and fish, but who also are passionate about protecting public lands and aren't shy about sharing their opinions on the subject.

"We are truly combining the sage wisdom of our wisest members with the youthful exuberance of the next generations of conservationists," Tawney said.

Tawney and BHA have become targets of Green Decoys, a project of the Environmental Policy Alliance, which describes its mission online as "devoted to uncovering the funding and hidden agendas behind environmental activist groups and exploring the intersection between activists and government agencies."

They allege that sportsmen's groups like BHA are simply a front for "environmental and left-wing" foundations — a claim that Tawney, a fifth-generation Montanan, has vigorously denied.

In a July 13 Instagram post, the Green Decoys posted an image of a "puppet" Tawney dressed in camouflage having his strings pulled by a man who resembles George Soros, the billionaire businessman, philanthropist and liberal activist. The caption reads: "Who's Pulling the Strings of Montana Front Groups?"

Tawney wrote a cheeky rejoinder to the post: "Damn it feels good to be a gangster." He challenged the group's backers to "come to Montana and get your pale faces some sun and catch some fish. My daughter has more blood on her hands than you ever will."

The August survey showed that 61 percent of BHA members use social media, email and the group's website as their primary sources of information about BHA issues.

The organization boasts an "online community" of more than 250,000, with members hailing from all 50 states, and 13 provinces and territories.

"I have long dreamed of being a part of a vibrant conservation organization whose members act to support the mission of the org over political tribalism," said Ryan Busse, chair of the BHA North American board of directors, in a statement.

I’m supposed to have a free t shirt from filling out that survey. Public lands, yeah yeah... Where’s my t shirt?! ;)

When I went to renew my membership at the beginning of the year I accidentally just made a straight donation. So when I got the survey there was an offer for a t shirt for joining BHA because my official membership had lapsed. Also, I’m making a joke. Don’t really care about the T shirt. Do care about the momentum that’s BHA is building.

They sure found a group that wasn't being addressed. Hope there isn't mission drift...

Yikes. I turned 38 this year. looks like I am going to be one of the Old Duffers in this organization within a few years.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back