Pack out service for hire? SW Montana

Another twist would be mountain goat hunting. I didn't have to use them, but I did contact a rock climbing shop out of Cody when I had my goat tag in Wyoming to have a number to call just in case I ended up having a goat down in a place that I wasn't willing to risk my life to retrieve it. They would have charged me plenty if I had needed to use them. I guess that would have been illegal outfitting?

My guess is that they may intentionally have it vague for things just like the scenario that I described. Using common sense you would not call using repelling gear to retrieve a mountain goat outfitting. But if a guy is hanging out at trail heads waiting for a call to come retrieve an elk for 2 straight months in the fall that would sure smell like outfitting.

If you think about it game packing is a money loosing endeavor for an outfitter, most people aren't going to pay more than $400-600 for a pack out. The outfitter has to pay fuel to get to the trail head, and a full day of work for a packer, all said and done they might make $100 out of the deal. I'm headed deep into a CO wilderness area for elk this year and got an outfitter to agree to pack me out, but only because he will be in that same area already with some guided hunters... and honestly I think he is mostly doing it because he is a nice guy and I told him that I new where is camp was and was planning on hunting the other side of the area so I would be out of his hair...

"Gypo game retrievers"... Jesus gentleman

Same here, I found one outfit that would pack me in 1.5 miles to a common area where 2 trails meet. Not really the experience I was looking for, so I have been hiking back in 5 miles and stashing supplies :cool:

Anyone corner cross? In Montana, even though a foot never touches the private property within that millimeter of cross section to access our land from our land, It's illegal.

No worries. No need to mention whether you do or not. ;)

Anyone corner cross? In Montana, even though a foot never touches the private property within that millimeter of cross section to access our land from our land, It's illegal.

No worries. No need to mention whether you do or not. ;)

Rinella, not too long ago, led me to believe that it's not illegal to hop a corner, (in Montana) but FWP advises against it because of the cluster &@#* it could turn into.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back