Florida Swamp Lizards

KayakMacGyver

Alligator season kicked off on August 15th here in the Sunshine state. The season started out very good and we filled 2 of 6 tags over the last two evenings. I've got a couple weeks until my next unit opens up, so plenty of time to work on processing these guys.

Here, the method of take for alligators is strict by comparison to some other States. We're not able to hang baits with hooks or leave them unattended. The preferred method, and how we got these two, is snatch hook followed by a harpoon dart or crossbow dart. Then, once you've got them under control, a .44 round bangstick to the back of the head finishes the deal. No handguns or rifles permitted. Looking forward to filling the rest of my tags before heading to Colorado on September 12th to chase elk!

A 9 footer from opening day

20180815_184044.jpg

And an 11'2 we harvested last night

Bull gator.jpg

20180816_213855.jpg

Last edited:
Man, that's cool! Congrats! And good pictures.

You guys practice in your off season on the invading iguanas? ;)

I must have some type of cryptic/cosmic Seminal ghost within me. On several occasions when I was hunting in Fla I walked within a couple of feet to a gator and they never even flinched. Scared the Crap out of me though!

Do you eat the meat? I've had it a few times and it's almost like a transition between pork and seafood to me.

The meat is great and PACKED with protein. Like 29 grams of protein per 3.5 oz. Serving. I find it delicious but not versatile. It can be tough/chew. Fried is always a winner, but we dont fry food often in my house. Cooked in gumbo or stew it's fantastic. When frozen for a while it can definitely take on a fishy taste, but when fresh I find it comparable to chicken in flavor. It sure makes great trading stock around work too.

That is awesome! Great pics and interesting restrictions on harvesting Gators. What are your thoughts on that? Is the gator population such that the regs maintain fair quantities?

For schnitz n grins, you should lay that bruiser's head up onto you kayak and snap a pic of that. Haha! Bet that would go, as my daughter says, "viral". Makes one think how the internet is always right. :D

Thanks for sharing. Great pics and interesting read about the edible side.

That is awesome! My hunt starts next Wednesday and my son and I are going out next Friday night for our first DIY gator hunt. I can't wait!

Great eating!! I'm doing it the other way around. Elk in Colorado first, then to Pensacola, in October, where I'll be hunting red fish, speckles and snapper!! Cant wait!! Good luck bro!! And GO GATORS!!

Man I'd love to hunt gators, and I LOVE me some gator tail. Whereabouts are y'all out of? I've got "family" in north Florida and some in laws around Ft Myers.

Thanks all. Appreciate the comments!

As a side note, I was looking for a partner back in June for my Colorado elk hunt, but couldn't find anyone who didn't already have plans. This gator hunt was on the tablem. I'm a licensed captain (on kiddo sabbatical for the last 2 years) and my offer was a "trade a Florida trip" where I could provide alligator hunting or offshore/inshore fishing, spearfishing, etc. The post should still be out there for reference. I'm hunting solo this season but will be looking to make a similar deal in 2019.

If you're reading this post and you want to make an alligator trip happen in 2019 shoot me a PM. I'll be looking go hunt elk/mule deer out west with someone who knows their stuff. Not locked in on a state at this point so open to options.

I live near Tallahassee, Florida....about 10 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico. They call our area the Forgotten Coast, as it's one of the last coastal areas in Florida that isn't filled with condos and beach homes. It's really a relaxing/secluded get away where the fishing and hunting is incredible.

Last edited:
Back