Caribou Gear Tarp

WY region B deer scouting/bowhunt thoughts

Muskeez

Mrs. and I have WY deer, region B tags for Oct. 1-15. I had planned to go out and scout last week, but other family plans changed that. So, I got to thinking, why not just wait until Sept. 1 and get the archery permit. Shooting one would be a huge bonus of course, but at least I could be hunting a bit while scouting out this huge amount of land that I have never seen.

I'm thinking I will take about 5 days and just start at one end (21 or 14) and zig-zag my way through what I can and see what I can along the way. Hopefully I will find some areas worthy of going back to in October. I realize deer numbers will change in areas after the orange army comes out. We will actually be hunting the last half of the season to avoid some pressure.

Any thoughts or advice on what terrain to look for? or just which half I should start on? I have tagged along on mule deer hunts 3 times with my daughter in SD but never with my own tag, or in WY, and never with archery equipment. I guess my main question is, should I take my ATV out (after buying a atv permit/tag) and use that to drive the appropriate BLM two tracks to get back faster and farther for glassing and scouting? All of this is assuming the roads stay decent. I have been on the SE WY roads when they are bad so I know about that.

Take it. Better to have it there and not need it then to need it and not have it. Good luck to you!

Hey Sam, for what it's worth I did not take my ATV and did not miss it. There weren't that many BLM pieces that had established roads to drive it on and when they did I could just drive the truck in a little ways to glass. Maybe if it was wet and rainy that would be different. The hunting was tough. I saw one buck a day the first 3 days. The fourth day I saw 9 bucks coming out of private hay fields headed into the breaks to bed for the day. Luckily two of the smaller ones made it into the public and bedded. After waiting 30 minutes I snuck in and shot one of them at 7 yards. Nothing big, but a cool forky in velvet. My first velvet deer and first mule deer. Mrs. and I will be back out Oct. 7-13 to work on her tag. Maroon colored Chevy 2500 Duramax, Iowa tags. Best wishes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back