Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Screaming Good Deal

Thank you! Got a 270 ($499) and 308 ($250)! List for each at wally world was north of $650...

Troy, if a mob of angry women attack you on social media or show up at your door with pitchforks it will likely be due to the thousands of dollars their husbands spent due to your "recommendation" of a deal.

Amazing how many people have tried this.

No Weatherby's in my area but I did pick up an Axis 30.06 for myself & youth .243 for my son. I'll have some explaining to do Christmas morning when he opens it & discovers the pink camo waiting inside the box. Gonna let him pick out the color on a new Boyd's stock so hopefully that smooths things over! Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the heads up. Headed to my nearest Wal-mart last night and attempted to get this deal. When the person from sporting goods finally showed up from their break (15 minutes later) it was after 9PM and they told me they couldn't process any firearms that late b/c the ATF would likely turn it down. I said let's try anyway. The assistant manager then informed me that "she didn't have to sell any firearms to anyone if she didn't want to." I told her that I would still like to try and purchase a firearm. After persuading those lazy *$&'s to actually provide some customer service it took them 30 minutes in the back to tell me that the Vanguard was in fact on sale for $249, but the Axis .308 was $269. I said fine I'll take them both, but then they said the ATF wouldn't process it and they'd call me in the morning. They promised they'd be on hold for me for 30 days and not for sale. I got both their names and returned today (despite no call). The same sporting goods employee then informed me that the ATF didn't clear it so he couldn't sell me the guns yet. Something just doesn't seem right to me, I'm active duty military, no felonies (or anything for that matter) and I've bought plenty of guns. Starting to get really angry, but I'd rather purchase the firearms first before I tell them how I really feel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. Headed to my nearest Wal-mart last night and attempted to get this deal. When the person from sporting goods finally showed up from their break (15 minutes later) it was after 9PM and they told me they couldn't process any firearms that late b/c the ATF would likely turn it down. I said let's try anyway. The assistant manager then informed me that "she didn't have to sell any firearms to anyone if she didn't want to." I told her that I would still like to try and purchase a firearm. After persuading those lazy *$&'s to actually provide some customer service it took them 30 minutes in the back to tell me that the Vanguard was in fact on sale for $249, but the Axis .308 was $269. I said fine I'll take them both, but then they said the ATF wouldn't process it and they'd call me in the morning. They promised they'd be on hold for me for 30 days and not for sale. I got both their names and returned today (despite no call). The same sporting goods employee then informed me that the ATF didn't clear it so he couldn't sell me the guns yet. Something just doesn't seem right to me, I'm active duty military, no felonies (or anything for that matter) and I've bought plenty of guns. Starting to get really angry, but I'd rather purchase the firearms first before I tell them how I really feel.

So you actually did the online form 4473 already at the store? If so you could be on a delay pretty common especially if you have a very common name. I think after 3 business days they can go ahead and proceed anyway. Also checks don't go through ATF they either go through the FBI nics or sometimes a state data base, that is on a state by state basis and varies.

Last edited:

I am in the same boat. Never had any issues purchasing a gun, no trouble with law enforcement, had a handgun purchase certificate in Nebraska. No problems.

But I think I may have created one without knowing by buying on a Friday when I purchased it at 7 AM Monday morning. Apparently the ATF/FBI has 3 days to turn down an application and after that most gun shops proceed with the sale legally. That means my 3 days were primarily weekend, not a good time to be asking for government agency paperwork to be getting done. The gun shops can sell it to you legally after 3 days of "delayed" on the app but Wal Mart does not do this. They have to have an approval and will wait up to 30 days. But since the FBI is used to most shops proceeding with the sale after 3 days I am wondering what happens in these specific situations. I guess I will find out soon, was hoping for a phone call today but I know I was not denied in the 3 day period so we shall see what happens next.

I am in the same boat. Never had any issues purchasing a gun, no trouble with law enforcement, had a handgun purchase certificate in Nebraska. No problems.

But I think I may have created one without knowing by buying on a Friday when I purchased it at 7 AM Monday morning. Apparently the ATF/FBI has 3 days to turn down an application and after that most gun shops proceed with the sale legally. That means my 3 days were primarily weekend, not a good time to be asking for government agency paperwork to be getting done. The gun shops can sell it to you legally after 3 days of "delayed" on the app but Wal Mart does not do this. They have to have an approval and will wait up to 30 days. But since the FBI is used to most shops proceeding with the sale after 3 days I am wondering what happens in these specific situations. I guess I will find out soon, was hoping for a phone call today but I know I was not denied in the 3 day period so we shall see what happens next.

I guess I'm in the same boat. I filled out the 4473 in the store, but didn't expect there to be any glitches as there hasn't been any in the past. I'm just fully expecting WM to not honor that price or sell the gun in the interim.

I went to one local store last Friday. No deal and the guy looked at me like I was crazy. Texted a friend who manages the store on the other side of town. He checked for me and confirmed all prices. Picked up a synthetic vanguard 30.06 last night. Got to thinking that a .223 would be nice so I just messaged him to check their stock for me.
Problem is last night I was'nt planning on being there so no cash. The wife will see that purchase, she caught me looking at scopes online last night. I have cash in my pocket today.;)

It took them 30 minutes to get a manager back to approve the transaction when I bought mine. When an assistant manager finally made it back there and asked if she could help me I told her I had been waiting for 30 minutes. Her reply was "First I've of it". If it wasn't such a good deal I would have walked out.

This is a national mark-down. If they don't have the correct price on the display, they may have to scan the gun box itself.

Ruger Mini 14 399
Glossy walnut Vanguard 349
Synthetic Vanguard 249
Savage Axis Camo Combo 199
Stevens Pump shotgun in Muddy Girl Camo 99
Go get 'em.

Big Sky I can't thank you enough. I picked up a .270 for my son (lucky turd) and have a couple of buddies that are finally picking up decent rifles. The price was just too good to pass up. While I was filling out the paperwork the sales associate told me a story that last week a guy came into the store to buy groceries and walked past the gun counter. After seeing the sale he walked out with four rifles.

I guess I'm in the same boat. I filled out the 4473 in the store, but didn't expect there to be any glitches as there hasn't been any in the past. I'm just fully expecting WM to not honor that price or sell the gun in the interim.

Just got the call. Proceed. My daughter is very excited, almost as much as me!!

Thanks Troy

I'm glad it's working out for most of you. Wish it was working out for everyone, the common denominator for failure seems to be the Walmart employee's more than anything. Just for the record this was the longest transaction I've ever endured. It took just under 2 hours and I even have a CCW so they didn't have to make "the call". Like someone else mentioned if it wasn't such a great deal I would have walked as well. When the assistant manager(who actually was very nice and intelligent) asked me if I wanted a job, the more I think about it, the more I think she wasn't really joking. Honestly after what I saw, I seriously wonder how Walmart doesn't go bankrupt with the level of ineptness I witnessed while trying to buy a rifle. I'm going to just make a prophecy right now that in the future brick and mortar Walmart stores will be downsized and more of their business will be conducted online. It wouldn't surprise me if they quit carrying firearms altogether. In fact I expect that will happen sooner than later.

A .308 came home with me today. It was lunch time and the transaction took close to an hour, but the folks who did the work for me were fairly competent. I said nothing about the price ($349 on the display gun); when they scanned the box, the two guys behind the counter kind of looked at each other, looked at their scanner again, then one said under his breath, "249. Huh, I guess it's on clearance." LoL

Thanks for the heads up Big Sky.

I'm really glad that I've focused my gun attention on more specialized rifles otherwise I'd have a couple more to acquire optics for. Maybe if it were one of the new Mark V rifles then we'd be talking

Thank you! Got a 270 ($499) and 308 ($250)! List for each at wally world was north of $650...

Was so excited didn't even realize what the actual prices were till I got home. It was $349 each for both the 270 and the 308, sporter deluxe. So what did I do? Why, I went back and bought a 243, of course. Never have I seen guns of this quality on sale at such a price!

It's too bad you can't check inventory on Wal Mart guns online. Then we could find the stores with the last ruger 14's and Vanguards.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back