Screaming Good Deal

I was in Ennis this weekend and saw a Rem 700 SPS in 300RUM for $400. I suspect it was used based on the surface rust even though it was in the new section. If it were new I would have pounced.

Dang.... Hard to walk away from. mtmuley

Haven't been to Wal Mart lately. No Remington 700's on sale? mtmuley

I ended up visiting just about every walley world that sells weapons here in Vegas, didn't see anything except the Vanguards marked down, and I was looking pretty hard.

I did get some insight into how they do gun business though, the manager I was working with told me has the pen power to mark down anything that is not moving, and he has done it in the past.

He also informed me that the store's FFL is all based upon the store manager, something I was not aware of, but that explains why some stores sell weapons while others don't.

It dawned on me also they don't really understand who their market is when he told me "we've had these Weatherby's on the shelf here for 3 years but they didn't start moving till we marked off 50%." I didn't have the heart to tell him most of their customers aren't really visiting them to spend close to $700 on a weapon.

It dawned on me also they don't really understand who their market is when he told me "we've had these Weatherby's on the shelf here for 3 years but they didn't start moving till we marked off 50%." I didn't have the heart to tell him most of their customers aren't really visiting them to spend close to $700 on a weapon.

That is interesting that you mentioned that. While buying my Weatherby there the clerk said something similar. He said; "These Weatherby's really haven't moved. They aren't really a Walmart gun." I'd have to agree. It's the first time I ever bought a gun from Walmart in my 54 years on the planet. Good chance it will be the last as well.

Last edited:
That is interesting that you mentioned that. While buying my Weatherby there the clerk said something similar. He said; "These Weatherby's really haven't moved. They aren't really a Walmart gun." I'd have to agree. It's the first time I ever bought a gun from Walmart in my 54 years on the planet. Good chance it will be the last as well.

Pretty much same conversation I had while waiting on a manager. Several years ago I picked up a Remington 11-87 premier model the super fancy one for $250 price marked on the box was $799. So I'd say you guys are right higher dollar guns just don't appeal to the average walmart shopper.

Same here, first gun I ever purchased from Wally world was a vangaurd last week... not that I needed it but at those prices....

I couldn't help myself and went back the day after I picked up the .06 Vanguard. I was hoping to find another vanguard in something smaller like .223 but the help wasn't much help as far as figuring out what they had in the back. Once I finally got a clerk there they paged an ass. manager who I gave 20 minutes with no show. I decided it wasn't meant to be and headed for the door. On the way out I ran into the ass. manager that helped me they day before. She went back and ran me a list of all the vanguards in stock, .308's and .270's. I headed for the door again but halfway out I went back and told her if she had time to give me a look at the .223 Axis I had seen in the case and would stay at the counter I would probably buy it. Unscoped for 140.00. I know what it is but how could I say no?

Well I did a little research and found a way to do this. Now you can check your local stores to see what they have.

Click this thread, 7th post from the top, you can't miss it. You can enter your zip an check on any of the deals.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-Official-WalMart-Clearance-thread-/5-2034658/&page=91

Thanks for the link. Now I know that there is a .270 Vanguard for $249 at my local Walmart. I just need to decide if I want to get it for my son or not. I want to get him a 7mm-08 left handed that will be his forever rifle but haven't found one that I like yet. This would be a stop gap because I really don't want him shooting a deer again this year with the .223. It has worked the last 2 years but it just barely gets it done.

To get a .243 Vanguard I would have to drive 50 miles. If I drove the 50 miles I would probably get one of the 3 10/22 takedowns they have there for $169.

It is crazy that in the same town there are some of the rifles and shotguns at full price and some at the discount price. I don't know what I would do with it but a Remington 870 shotgun for $139 seems pretty cheap.

Thanks for the link. Now I know that there is a .270 Vanguard for $249 at my local Walmart. I just need to decide if I want to get it for my son or not. I want to get him a 7mm-08 left handed that will be his forever rifle but haven't found one that I like yet. This would be a stop gap because I really don't want him shooting a deer again this year with the .223. It has worked the last 2 years but it just barely gets it done.

To get a .243 Vanguard I would have to drive 50 miles. If I drove the 50 miles I would probably get one of the 3 10/22 takedowns they have there for $169.

It is crazy that in the same town there are some of the rifles and shotguns at full price and some at the discount price. I don't know what I would do with it but a Remington 870 shotgun for $139 seems pretty cheap.

I am thankful that there is nothing close to me as I could probably talk myself into several on that list.

At worst you could probably get your money back on any of those pretty easily at a gun show so I don't really think a person can go wrong at those price points. And since it's really a Howa you are supporting the sponsor of the site.

I'm kinda surprised there are some available in Texas, I checked a few stores in Oklahoma and the didn't have much.

Yeah, I checked the Savage Axis youth in .243 and there are 4 available for $199 here as well.

I picture this as a gun for maybe 2 years until he grows into something permanent that would be a really nice gun.

Hard to pass at that price point.

Yeah, I checked the Savage Axis youth in .243 and there are 4 available for $199 here as well.

I picture this as a gun for maybe 2 years until he grows into something permanent that would be a really nice gun.

Hard to pass at that price point.
I strongly suggest a LH action if you insist on the "nice gun" to be one. A Ruger American in blued can be had in LH for about $350ish. The one I have more my two LH shooting boys works well enough.

There's one Weatherby 270 and few Savage (308, 243) available at the Walmart here in Longmont. I stopped in to pick up my OTC Elk license and "just happened" to check. Told the other half when I got home but she didn't bite.

I strongly suggest a LH action if you insist on the "nice gun" to be one. A Ruger American in blued can be had in LH for about $350ish. The one I have more my two LH shooting boys works well enough.

Yeah, probably silly to buy a gun I don't need just because it is a screaming deal.

Right now he regularly shoots my Ruger 10/22 and AR 15 left handed but on both of them he has to be somewhat aware of how he holds them. I was thinking for a couple years he could shoot a right handed gun from the left side but I'm just being cheap.

Just bought him a Benelli semi-auto in left hand and it was anything but cheap although I got a really good deal on it.

Hmmm, I’ve got a synthetic Vangaurd 308 in ND on hold for me right now. When he scans the card and the box it comes back at 349. Anyone else have this issue?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back