PEAX Equipment

US Army base Katterbach Germany -- info wanted.

T Bone

Sam, our US Army son graduates from AIT next week and is assigned to Katterbach Germany.

Please tell me what you know about the area!

I was stationed up the road in Nuremberg for 6 years from 86-92. Ansbach Army Airfield is near Katterbach and we used to go there to train a lot. My wife and I travel back to Nuremberg to visit friends about every 3 to 5 years.

Tons of stuff to do in the area. Great Fests, ancient Roman History, German history, skiing down south in the Alps, the walled town of Rothenburg etc, etc. If he is into music, food and travel he can get about any where on public transit. He is short train ride from Frankfurt, Paris, Munich, Nuremberg, Zurich, Prague etc, etc.

Nemont

Can't help with the immediate area of Katterbach, but I was stationed in Europe for several years. A few places to get him started on road trips are
Edelweiss; US resort and awesome. Bolzano, Austria; home of the ice man (Otzi) and his museum. Go to Venice and don't even think about a map, get a slice of pizza at every stand you can muster and get lost in and around the city. Glass blowing and molding on one the islands too is a neat trip while your in Venice. Go glamping in Lake Bled Slovenia and rent a canoe to the island church and tour it. While your in Slovenia and around Lake Bled, go through the rope/obstical course in the mountains and go shoot Lake Bled's traditional bow 3D course. Also in Slovenia you'll be in for a treat as their local desert is one of my favorites on this earth, Kremna Rezina. Tell him to go fish for Welsh Catfish in Spain, I can pass along contacts if he wishes. He can also apply to fish or hunt in Russia, do it as he's already over there! Scuba diving is another awesome treat in Europe, underrated but incredible. Westmalle brewery, bring me some back. If you're into wine and in Italy for any reason, I can give you a list of places to visit that'll forever change your view of veno. Since i'm on the subject of wine, tell him to never buy off of the list at cafes and such, always try the house wine first. Visit every battle site he can while he's over there, the history is jaw dropping. Lot's of Americans are still buried over there to include my great grand father who didn't make it out of France. You'll be in for a humbling experience if you were to visit some of the dedicated cemetery's in Europe. I can go on and on, he's in for an amazing experience. Just get out and enjoy the place.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back