Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

guns stand for ducking

BrentD

I'm about to take up duck hunting again. When I left off, I was pretty much a nomadic duck hunter who just found good spots and camped out in the cattails or willows, or whatever was handy. In other words, I don't use big, constructed blinds. I often find I have no where to prop my shotguns and I'm thinking of making something I could stick in the bank for that purpose. Something that would break down and fit in a 5 gallon pail or in the game bag of a hunting jacket might be ideal.

Does anyone make such a thing or have any of you designed and made one? Before I start off on reinventing the wheel, I thought I might ask around.

I just use a sling and throw it over my shoulder when I am not holding onto it.

maxx,
Slinging won't work. It would be sacrilegious to sling a 19th century double. I use temporary slings when hiking in and out of places, but one can't shoot over such things effectively.

icebreaker12 - that is amazingly close to what I was thinking of, but it has several advantages. Thanks a bunch. Exactly what I was looking for.

your primary duck gun is a 100 year old + double?

Generally, yeah. Actually it is my "new" gun, but I intend to make it my go-to for everything. I gotta be different. Most of the others are older, still English ('cept for one Germanic gun I'm trying to retire), still doubles. I'd hate to shoot a duck with a single barrel. Wouldn't seem right... :)
Greener%2012%20full%20right%20side.jpg

Gus%202009%202%20small.jpg

I use one made by banded. Depending on the quality of the marsh bottom it can be precarious.

My thoughts exactly. I would be afraid to use a gun stand in most of the wetlands I duck hunt in. I would be too afraid of that stand falling over.

Back