Looking for a Mentor

MooseBell

This is my first year applying for an elk tag. Unfortunately I did not draw, however I am still trying to get out in the woods for my first public land elk hunt. I am obviously a greenhorn to public land elk hunting so it goes without saying that I am looking for someone that is willing to show me the ropes. I do not expect you to give me your honey holes, I just want to learn the basics so that next year I have a better idea of what I am doing.

A little background: I am 25 years old living in Dallas, TX, been in the woods hunting small game and fishing since I could remember. I got into this public land hunting through BigFin's podcast and TV show and I want to contribute to the thousands of great people who are passionate about public land. I am passionate about conservation and saving our public lands, but most of all I want to procure my own meat.

I am in good shape and willing to pack out an elk however far you are willing to haul it. I won't quit. I won't complain. I am willing to send more information about myself if you message me.

I know this is a long shot, but all this talk I hear about hunter recruitment and retention, it would be great if someone on this forum would step up and give me a shot to learn how to spot and stalk. Therefore, creating a life long hunter who him himself will in turn recruit and retain more hunters for future generations.

Please don't feel bashful about messaging me. I will respond to any inquiry.

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum.... stay around a bit and you will learn a ton just off this site. Good luck in your quest to find a hunting partner. If I did not have a full plate this year I may have given you an offer. Again good luck,
Matt

Hey MooseBell,

I'm still consider myself a novice, but will offer a couple tidbits. I read on someone's post that you can plan until you're blue in the face, but you'll never learn until you go (good advice). With that being said, after 2 trips to SW CO & preparing for the 3rd, planning definitely has its place & can determine the overall quality of the trip.

You're a days drive from otc elk in CO, driving from TN I figure a 9 day trip(4 days driving, 5 days hunting) is gonna cost me about $1500-2000. I usually stay in a motel 1 night each way travelling & 1 or 2 nights during the hunt week, depending on weather & how bad I want a shower/hot meal. You could maybe leave after work on a Friday & be in elk habitat by midnight, so you should be able to hunt 8 days for around the same cost. The more time you can spend where the elk live is imho crucial to figuring out where they are the week you're there. You didn't mention your weapon of choice, but bow season is my favorite time to hunt. The bow season is almost a month long, so you might be able to squeeze in 2 trips during bow season.

Good Luck!

You didn't mention your weapon of choice, but I think bow season is the most enjoyable for me. Your tag is good for almost a month, hunting pressure should be less, depending on where you're hunting & the elk are most vocal then.

Not sure if you're from DFW (I grew up in Carrollton), but coming from TX and whitetail/duck hunting the learning curve has been steep. If I hadn't started while up in CO, it would have been tough. Don't spike camp or bivy in 2 miles your first year if you haven't spent much time in the mountains there. Hope you find someone local.

My tips from a reformed NTX boy:
- Cotton is the devil: always
- Merino/nylon is your friend: always
- Spend most of your equipment selection effort and money on boots, pack, and sleep system (and an optic/tripod if you're rifle hunting)
- An extremely nice sleeping pad can make a walmart sack seem warm
- TEST your equipment before your hunt/welfare depends on it
- Sometimes it'll feel more likely you'll see a unicorn; the mental game can be a big part
- A fancy rifle/cartridge doesn't matter much if it's too heavy/can't carry it comfortably, or have hardly shot it in lifelike positions (not from a bench)
- Don't count on someone else to actually follow through on going with you, or you'll never go
- I'm on year 4, no dead elk, and have zero expectation to kill a bull this year; my goal is 1 solid encounter and I'll be very happy

Bonus: Don't rely on the draw or preference points, the experience you can gain from OTC hunts and leftover tag hunts is what will make drawing worthwhile when it happens

Make sure to plan a hunt. Don't get ready to get ready, or you'll miss out every year. What you read here and watch on Randy's videos, it looks and sounds simple, the concept really is, and it's doable by everyone. The hunt is up to you on what you want out of it or how hard you willing to work the concepts of hunting elk and the process. There's opportunity to go after an elk every year and potentially harvest or not get an elk for several years. Either way, I guarantee you will have no regrets chasing them through the Rocky Mountains.

Like others have said, OTC Colorado should be what you do this year. I drive out ever year from Houston, and this year was the first year I flew out to scout. My advice, just go do it. Invite others, but don't wait on them. If you get yourself gohunt, onx, and read this forum, listen to ElkTalk and Randy's podcast, you will be just fine. If you are worried about being out of contact, get yourself a SPOT GPS tracker. Then you can text, and have a SOS button in case it all goes wrong.

From Houston it is a little over a day ride out. I can usually make it in 16 hours, but this year I am going to crash somewhere near Decatur, then up early the next morning to be in the NF by 5 pm.

Good luck!

There is plenty of good hunting to be had on the COE land around some of the lakes, no need to drive across the country to learn how to hunt. I know Texoma has a lot of undeveloped shoreline and the flowage easements for the lake are pretty good sized because that lake level can come up so much during floods. If the water is low you can just walk the shoreline to get where you want to hunt. There are hogs in those areas as well. That's only a short drive up to the Sherman/Denison area.

http://www.laketexomaonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/tx_hunt_2013.pdf

If you want to drive a little further there are places in Oklahoma what offer good opportunities if you are willing to work but archery around Texoma is one of the better opportunities there are in that part of the world IMO.

Oklahoma walk in hunting map.
https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/olap

Oklahoma public hunting area map.
https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hunting/maps

I know there is a strong Backcountry Hunters and Anglers group in the DFW area. I would suggest attending some of their events. If anything you'll probably here some good stories! I'm out of Austin, but let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Welcome. Enjoy your youth.

A few extra radical training tips for hunting out West. You will think I am crazy and delusional but after hunting in the mountains, float trips, and prairie you will understand my logic and thinking. Don’t worry. I am not trying to scare you or anyone. I am simply advocating to Train like you hunt and prepare for the worst.

1. Get an old frame backpack and hike into a local wilderness area where you live about five to seven miles and load up about 40 to 55 lbs. of wood or rock. Hike back to your truck and dump the load. Repat five more times. The steeper the terrain, the better.

2. Buy a water filter and bladder. During your fall hunts this year, do not bring any city water. Find water in the field and filter it, then drink. Repeat all season.

3. Save all of your old broken gear. Walk five miles into the woods with the broken gear and repair the old gear with the items you have on you. Return to truck.

4. Set up your spike camp one night in your local hunting area but do not use it. Walk about three miles away and sleep only with a small fire and a emergency blanket.

5. Here’s a fun one. Put all of your gear and clothing on and intentionally soak yourself and all gear thoroughly, especially your boots and socks. Hike five miles. Set up camp and sleep. Repeat 2 more nights.

6. Overload your backpack with 80 lbs and hike near your residence until you are mad and pissed off. Continue for another 5 miles before stopping for the day. Repeat.

7. When cold weather hits, sleep in a small tent in your back yard with only a thin blanket. Repeat 2 more nights in a row.

8. Make a late evening meal out of trail mix, dried stuffing, and beef jerky.

9. Go hunting lically with your buddy. Carry all of his gear out with yours like he is hurt.

Once complete, you will run around the mountains. Its all fun though, even the crazy training ideas.

I agree with what others have said and that is just go and not wait on anyone. The hardest part about going the first time is making up your mind to go and following through. Once you get there, everything will more or less fall into place.

There are some good left over tags for cows in Wy, and some have some good access through access programs. A cow tag is great way to get your feet wet and learn something about what its about. Send me a pm and I will try to help.

There are some good left over tags for cows in Wy, and some have some good access through access programs. A cow tag is great way to get your feet wet and learn something about what its about. Send me a pm and I will try to help.

Oleefish2,
I don't know Wy for sure but I recently sorted through the leftover tags and Most cow tags I saw were either on private land or had stipulations that said unit wide except national forest or refered to only one drainage on the unit which seemed odd to me. How does one ensure they are within a drainage with in a unit? I never heard of a drainage map?

Welcome. Enjoy your youth.

A few extra radical training tips for hunting out West. You will think I am crazy and delusional but after hunting in the mountains, float trips, and prairie you will understand my logic and thinking. Don’t worry. I am not trying to scare you or anyone. I am simply advocating to Train like you hunt and prepare for the worst.

1. Get an old frame backpack and hike into a local wilderness area where you live about five to seven miles and load up about 40 to 55 lbs. of wood or rock. Hike back to your truck and dump the load. Repat five more times. The steeper the terrain, the better.

2. Buy a water filter and bladder. During your fall hunts this year, do not bring any city water. Find water in the field and filter it, then drink. Repeat all season.

3. Save all of your old broken gear. Walk five miles into the woods with the broken gear and repair the old gear with the items you have on you. Return to truck.

4. Set up your spike camp one night in your local hunting area but do not use it. Walk about three miles away and sleep only with a small fire and a emergency blanket.

5. Here’s a fun one. Put all of your gear and clothing on and intentionally soak yourself and all gear thoroughly, especially your boots and socks. Hike five miles. Set up camp and sleep. Repeat 2 more nights.

6. Overload your backpack with 80 lbs and hike near your residence until you are mad and pissed off. Continue for another 5 miles before stopping for the day. Repeat.

7. When cold weather hits, sleep in a small tent in your back yard with only a thin blanket. Repeat 2 more nights in a row.

8. Make a late evening meal out of trail mix, dried stuffing, and beef jerky.

9. Go hunting lically with your buddy. Carry all of his gear out with yours like he is hurt.

Once complete, you will run around the mountains. Its all fun though, even the crazy training ideas.

Damn i think this would be a good training plan for SFAS... lol

SFA has a summer field camp I believe, unless they dropped it since I graduated .
I would apply for a cow tag in an area with good public access next year in Wyoming. Maybe doe antelope too then come up in fall and spend some time learning the ropes so to speak.

Last edited:
Moosebell,

Anyone home? Just ask as I hadn't noticed you responding yet to a single post?

Thank you for this helpful information! I have been leaning towards a CO hunt, but dont know where to start when deciding what unit to hunt. Any suggestions? My weapon of choice would be rifle.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back