Looking for a Mentor

Not sure if you're from DFW (I grew up in Carrollton), but coming from TX and whitetail/duck hunting the learning curve has been steep. If I hadn't started while up in CO, it would have been tough. Don't spike camp or bivy in 2 miles your first year if you haven't spent much time in the mountains there. Hope you find someone local.

My tips from a reformed NTX boy:
- Cotton is the devil: always
- Merino/nylon is your friend: always
- Spend most of your equipment selection effort and money on boots, pack, and sleep system (and an optic/tripod if you're rifle hunting)
- An extremely nice sleeping pad can make a walmart sack seem warm
- TEST your equipment before your hunt/welfare depends on it
- Sometimes it'll feel more likely you'll see a unicorn; the mental game can be a big part
- A fancy rifle/cartridge doesn't matter much if it's too heavy/can't carry it comfortably, or have hardly shot it in lifelike positions (not from a bench)
- Don't count on someone else to actually follow through on going with you, or you'll never go
- I'm on year 4, no dead elk, and have zero expectation to kill a bull this year; my goal is 1 solid encounter and I'll be very happy

Thank you for this! Would you recommend doing a OTC Colorado hunt for my first go round?

There is plenty of good hunting to be had on the COE land around some of the lakes, no need to drive across the country to learn how to hunt. I know Texoma has a lot of undeveloped shoreline and the flowage easements for the lake are pretty good sized because that lake level can come up so much during floods. If the water is low you can just walk the shoreline to get where you want to hunt. There are hogs in those areas as well. That's only a short drive up to the Sherman/Denison area.

http://www.laketexomaonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/tx_hunt_2013.pdf

If you want to drive a little further there are places in Oklahoma what offer good opportunities if you are willing to work but archery around Texoma is one of the better opportunities there are in that part of the world IMO.

Oklahoma walk in hunting map.
https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/olap

Oklahoma public hunting area map.
https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hunting/maps

Thank you for the links! I didnt know COE land was open to the public.

I know there is a strong Backcountry Hunters and Anglers group in the DFW area. I would suggest attending some of their events. If anything you'll probably here some good stories! I'm out of Austin, but let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Unfortunately, I missed out on the Arlington Pint Night because I was busy with work! Hopefully they will have another one soon!

In your opinion what is the go to public land allotment in TX? I know it is very limited in Texas. I was looking at the Davy Crocket NF but it seems to be pieced out with private land sprinkled everywhere.

Welcome. Enjoy your youth.

A few extra radical training tips for hunting out West. You will think I am crazy and delusional but after hunting in the mountains, float trips, and prairie you will understand my logic and thinking. Don’t worry. I am not trying to scare you or anyone. I am simply advocating to Train like you hunt and prepare for the worst.

1. Get an old frame backpack and hike into a local wilderness area where you live about five to seven miles and load up about 40 to 55 lbs. of wood or rock. Hike back to your truck and dump the load. Repat five more times. The steeper the terrain, the better.

2. Buy a water filter and bladder. During your fall hunts this year, do not bring any city water. Find water in the field and filter it, then drink. Repeat all season.

3. Save all of your old broken gear. Walk five miles into the woods with the broken gear and repair the old gear with the items you have on you. Return to truck.

4. Set up your spike camp one night in your local hunting area but do not use it. Walk about three miles away and sleep only with a small fire and a emergency blanket.

5. Here’s a fun one. Put all of your gear and clothing on and intentionally soak yourself and all gear thoroughly, especially your boots and socks. Hike five miles. Set up camp and sleep. Repeat 2 more nights.

6. Overload your backpack with 80 lbs and hike near your residence until you are mad and pissed off. Continue for another 5 miles before stopping for the day. Repeat.

7. When cold weather hits, sleep in a small tent in your back yard with only a thin blanket. Repeat 2 more nights in a row.

8. Make a late evening meal out of trail mix, dried stuffing, and beef jerky.

9. Go hunting lically with your buddy. Carry all of his gear out with yours like he is hurt.

Once complete, you will run around the mountains. Its all fun though, even the crazy training ideas.

This is phenomenal! I will be beginning this this week! THANK YOU!

Radical training ideas, Part 2....

1. Borrow a canoe or kayak in your area. Load all of your hunting and camping gear into the canoe or kayak. Fill any empty space with firewood. Launch and canoe for about 15 miles. Unload boat. Set up entire camp with tent. Grab backpack loaded with 50 lbs. and hike until dark. Return to camp. Eat. Sleep. Wake up around 4 am. Drink coffee. Hike about fivr miles sround woods. Return to camp. Tear down camp. Load boat. Repeat for about 3 more days.

2. Find a place to ride horses locally. Ride for about 7 hours and then set up camp or some other strenuous activity like splitting wood. Tell me how your joints, knees, and ankles feel the next morning.

3. Go out West during the summer, non-hunting season and backpack about 60 miles in 6 days with all of your gear. Montana, Colorado, & Arizona are have plentiful wilderness. You will learn a lot about your equipment and yourself that you can use during hunting season.

4. Celebrate. Drink a cold beer or other alcoholic beverage of choice after completing any of thses radical training ideas. Keep it fun and just get out West. You will not regret the effort or expenses!

TheGrayRider.

Welcome. Enjoy your youth.

A few extra radical training tips for hunting out West. You will think I am crazy and delusional but after hunting in the mountains, float trips, and prairie you will understand my logic and thinking. Don’t worry. I am not trying to scare you or anyone. I am simply advocating to Train like you hunt and prepare for the worst.

1. Get an old frame backpack and hike into a local wilderness area where you live about five to seven miles and load up about 40 to 55 lbs. of wood or rock. Hike back to your truck and dump the load. Repat five more times. The steeper the terrain, the better.

2. Buy a water filter and bladder. During your fall hunts this year, do not bring any city water. Find water in the field and filter it, then drink. Repeat all season.

3. Save all of your old broken gear. Walk five miles into the woods with the broken gear and repair the old gear with the items you have on you. Return to truck.

4. Set up your spike camp one night in your local hunting area but do not use it. Walk about three miles away and sleep only with a small fire and a emergency blanket.

5. Here’s a fun one. Put all of your gear and clothing on and intentionally soak yourself and all gear thoroughly, especially your boots and socks. Hike five miles. Set up camp and sleep. Repeat 2 more nights.

6. Overload your backpack with 80 lbs and hike near your residence until you are mad and pissed off. Continue for another 5 miles before stopping for the day. Repeat.

7. When cold weather hits, sleep in a small tent in your back yard with only a thin blanket. Repeat 2 more nights in a row.

8. Make a late evening meal out of trail mix, dried stuffing, and beef jerky.

9. Go hunting lically with your buddy. Carry all of his gear out with yours like he is hurt.

Once complete, you will run around the mountains. Its all fun though, even the crazy training ideas.

There are hunts where you are hiking in from trailhead a couple of miles or more while tackling 3000 feet of elevation with 5 days of food plus a tent on your back and being in great shape with self-reliance is important. The above list can help you build your confidence and get lean and mean. You can test yourself against the mountain. Is great to push through obstacles that would slow or stop most hunters. Get comfortable boots and clothes and gear that will keep you warm and hopefully dry. Shivering at 12,000 feet as night falls and your headlamp is failing is even less fun than sounds.

Myself, I like to hunt. My challenge is I am at an age where I have grandkids and I like desserts while my job involves a desk most days. I have stepped back in my hunting goals the past two years. I seriously considered giving up big game hunting. I found a way to keep hunting. Is more harvesting that hunting since am not out-hiking and out-carrying the majority of hunters in my unit.

On the plus side, I no longer spend two weeks post-hunt feeling like I boxed with Mike Tyson. Have not lost any toenails recently. Very few tumbles where pick up speed as roll along. I generally get a warm shower every fourth day and a warm meal with fresh greens most nights.

This autumn I will not be more than 2 miles from my truck at any point and will have a light daypack until a critter is on the ground. Not much elevation change expected during the hikes away from roads and trailheads. If some of my gear breaks, should be less than 1 hour from my truck and 50 miles from a Walmart type of retail store. Only one of the five tags for this autumn took more than 1 year of accumulated points. Two were second choices and one was a leftover tag. I will see critters and will have shot opportunities. I will see some amazing sunrises and sunsets.

You need to decide what will make the adventure great. You can be among the elite.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back