Hello from the land of no public land.

kgm1276

I am 41, married with young 3 kiddos and a lurker for about 4 years.

I grew up in far, far west Texas hunting Sandhills, Dove and Quail but when my father was transferred to DFW, our hunting opportunities were very limited. We stand-hunted whitetails on a friend’s property a few years but then, the suburban sprawl consumed that and not being able or willing to afford a traditional Texas hunting lease, I thought my hunting days were done and so I moved on to other pursuits.

Fast forward some years and during my wife’s pregnancy, you guys know the virtual hibernation of the 1st trimester, I stumbled upon OYOA. Randy’s demeanor and story telling of his hunts drew me in. I have since found Meat Eater, Solo Hunter and more of the hunting community who resonate with my purview of hunting.

Now that my kiddos (sons, ages 9 & 4 and a daughter, aged 6) are a bit older I have the itch to introduce them to the great outdoors and to a life of outdoor adventure, and more importantly, better quality food.

Growing up a bird hunter, my knowledge of rifle shooting is minimal, and my knowledge of western hunting (not “western” as Steve Rinella defines it) is nascent. I have learned a ton from this forum, Randy’s podcasts and Youtube Channel, and other podcasts I have discovered.

A childhood friend and I are planning a 2019 Elk hunt with our fathers. Our fathers are not young and, on my case, not the most able bodied, so I am sure we will have a lot to learn in the next year.

Thank ya’ll for the knowledge I have already gleaned and for a community who is willing to share.

There is public land to hunt not far from Dallas. Good areas around lake Texoma on the COE land for example. There is a nice piece of land in SE Oklahoma and more in Western Oklahoma that are not that far.

It's there, you just have to be willing to work for it.

There is public land to hunt not far from Dallas. Good areas around lake Texoma on the COE land for example. There is a nice piece of land in SE Oklahoma and more in Western Oklahoma that are not that far.

It's there, you just have to be willing to work for it.

Shhhhhh theirs already too many Texans up here during deer season.

Seriously though welcome aboard. PrairieHunter nailed it Lots of public in SE Oklahoma Three rivers/honobia wma is huge also there’s the Ouchita wilderness area in McCurtain and LeFlore counties all within 2 hours of Dallas. Best of luck on the elk hunt.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I am learning so much from this place! The information contained here is astounding.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back