Sw Montana first week of rifle season

Lineman300

My brother and I are planning to hunt sw Montana during the first week of rifle season. Just looking to get a little input before hand on what the weather might be that time of year, we have never hunted montana or rifle seasons anywhere for elk. We have been mostly bow hunters in colorado and just cant fit that into our schedule this fall. How bad do the roads get out there would it be a good idea to drag an atv out with us to help get around out there and would it be a good idea to have a set of chains for our truck?

Welcome, I hunted there last year same week. We battled snow and 70 degrees. It was a crap shoot and veried greatly with elevation. Be prepared that country can be very steep and very crowded at the trail heads. I hope you don’t mind Griz because he is there and every trail head had recent sightings posted. It would help others chime in if they knew a more specific unit verses S.W. MT. Which is huge.

Last edited:
We dont have an exact area pinpointed yet we are looking at 327 323 and 362, we are still trying to gather some information on the area before we decide exactly where to try, have never hunted in grizz country but i have also been looking into that as well.

Better know the roads before you go down them. Ice covered by snow can be impossible to get back up.
Chains are a must. Also a shovel and some sand.

We dont have an exact area pinpointed yet we are looking at 327 323 and 362, we are still trying to gather some information on the area before we decide exactly where to try, have never hunted in grizz country but i have also been looking into that as well.

A large area of that is closed due to fires right now, make sure you look at Inciweb. 360/362 N of Hegben is very steep but there is a few BMAs there to hunt. Every trail head will have upwards of 20 vechiles. Ennis is a nice little town with some nice folks if you end up there.

Many of the areas you are talking about are vast tracts of wilderness (the Madison Range) which doesn't have much for road access. If you're planning on hunting there, I wouldn't think tire chains are necessary. Even with the large amount of snow, I was able to park at any trailhead on the west side of the Madisons last year without chains up and through the last week of rifle.

I'm not telling you to not bring them, but I would call it as I see it. You can always pick up chains at Walmart on your way out if you see snow in the forecast.

I totally agree with you, in 2012 it dumped loads of snow, we managed to get around without chains in our rental in the same area you describe.

And you beat me to it, Walmart do some chains that would be worth the investment if it snowed this year, as the area we plan on hunting would require chains.

Cheers

Richard
Many of the areas you are talking about are vast tracts of wilderness (the Madison Range) which doesn't have much for road access. If you're planning on hunting there, I wouldn't think tire chains are necessary. Even with the large amount of snow, I was able to park at any trailhead on the west side of the Madisons last year without chains up and through the last week of rifle.

I'm not telling you to not bring them, but I would call it as I see it. You can always pick up chains at Walmart on your way out if you see snow in the forecast.

A large area of that is closed due to fires right now, make sure you look at Inciweb. 360/362 N of Hegben is very steep but there is a few BMAs there to hunt. Every trail head will have upwards of 20 vechiles. Ennis is a nice little town with some nice folks if you end up there.

Do the BMAs get as crowded as the trailheads, and if your willing to work for it can you get away from the crowd

Do the BMAs get as crowded as the trailheads, and if your willing to work for it can you get away from the crowd

I haven’t look this year but last year one was walk in and the other was reservation. There is a spot that is highly over looked for the opener if you want to shoot a cow. After the first weekend there was not as much traffic on the walk in and that gives you access to some good country if your willing to walk. And then walk some more...

The weather will be a crap shoot, over the years I have seen everything from 75 and sunny to 15 and snowing, bring clothes and sleeping gear for the full range. Can't provide much help in those areas, have not ever hunted down there. I would have chains, cheap insurance, I always have mine.

Les Schwab has many sizes of Tire Chains available online. If you don't use them exchange them at the end of the season. I got some for my 4Runner. I'm also going to that neck of the woods.

Tire chains are the # 1 thing that stays in my truck year round here in Montana . I learned the hard way years ago , just listen to everybody here and get some it could save your life !! Promice
Montana is Beautiful but beware she can be brutal.
Best of luck this fall to you !

Chains = good plan.
ATV = leave behind. Most NFS roads close at the beginning of rifle season here. Those that are open are generally navigable with truck.
Fires = the area you're looking at (Madison valley) is currently overwhelmed with smoke due to a fire in the southern Gravelly Mtn Range and one in the Madison Range. Keep an eye on the "inciweb" site for updates as we get closer to rifle season. They'll probably be out by then but, may not be.
Weather = could be anything. Be prepared.
Bears = could be anywhere. Be prepared.
Elk = are everywhere. Be prepared.
People = will probably be pretty thick come rifle opener. Be prepared. That area is very popular with elk hunters. Get away from "easy" and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the advice, every piece helps to start planning as far as the fires go i guess we wait and see and hope for the best.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back