Caribou Gear Tarp

Looking for Elk hunting partner - thinking DIY Utah general anybull rifle Oct 6-18th

Roughwater

Hi,

I'm retired and I live in NC and I feel it would be advantagous to have a hunting partner this Elk season. So far I'm not having any luck yet locally finding a partner thus my post. I haven't purchased a tag/permit yet so I can be flexible on the where and when so long as tags can still be purchased at this late date. I have tents, camping gear, hunting gear, rifle, spotting scopes, rangefiners etc and a reliable 4WD Toyota truck. I'm an ex Marine, fairly fit, a lifemember of the RMEF and a member of the American Legion. Being retired, I have the time to pre scout and can hunt the whole 12 days if necessary. I could even possibly arrange to pick up your gear in route and pick you up at a local airport if you prefer to fly in or I can meet you along the way and we can drive your vehicle or mine.
I have no expeirence hunting Utah but I have hunted Elk in Colorado and Idaho so I do have some experience hunting Elk. My main reason for considering Utah is that it looks as good as any of my other options and tags/permits that are still available.
Also in Utah if I pick up a bull OTC permit I can also buy a anterless elk control tag so long as I hunt bull in a Elk control unit which should increase my chance of taking something home. But again I'm real flexible and might be willing to even hunt a different state so long as it's a Elk hunt. I'm even open to possibly doing the Utah Spke hunt.

Yea, it seems to be hard to find someone to dedicate the time and effort to do an elk hunt from NC. Alot of folks talk about wanting to go, but never do. A buddy (also from NC) and I are going back to MT in a few weeks, so I can't be of any assistance. Good luck, and I hope you find someone willing to go!

Yea, it seems to be hard to find someone to dedicate the time and effort to do an elk hunt from NC. Alot of folks talk about wanting to go, but never do. A buddy (also from NC) and I are going back to MT in a few weeks, so I can't be of any assistance. Good luck, and I hope you find someone willing to go!

You got that right genesis. A few will consider till you start describing how hard the hunt will likely be. Lol

Just heard there are only 500 Utah (any bull) permits left. Be there or be spiked.

I'd love to take you up on it but the boss (wife) told me if I don't finish remodeling our house by October I can't go elk hunting. Sometimes thers just not enough hours in the day.

I'd love to take you up on it but the boss (wife) told me if I don't finish remodeling our house by October I can't go elk hunting. Sometimes thers just not enough hours in the day.

I don't see the problem. The season Starts Oct 6. So if you finish the house by OCT 1 wouldn't you be upholding your wife's wishes and be good to go?

If you are up for spike hunting, Ill be doing the OTC spike hunt in SE Utah this year. Will be my first time hunting Utah, but already have found some elk

I don't see the problem. The season Starts Oct 6. So if you finish the house by OCT 1 wouldn't you be upholding your wife's wishes and be good to go?

That's true, but my work schedule doesn't allow a great deal of time to work on it. I should also preface by saying it's a complete remodel: new wiring, plumbing, gas lines, HVAC, drywall, floors, cabinets, etc.

Oh, I see now. Yea, a remodel like that will take a long of time. Just make sure (assuming your really like to Elk hunt) that she agrees when you finish the project she won't prevent you from hunting again for at least the next 5 years. Sounds reasonable anyway.

Considering I've put about $20k into this house on top of what we paid for it... I'd better not hear a word about how much I hunt for.....ever

Running into the same issue in Michigan. Had two buddies lined up for a party hunt in WY for goats. One dropped out on the last day of application, which screwed our application strategy. Backup plan was for OTC Elk in MT or CO. I bought my tag and same guys have both backed out again. Now I'm up against the decision to go it alone for the first western trip, or tag soup without even going into the woods.. Guess if everyone did what they talked about the woods would be a lot more full, so I guess it is a blessing in the end.

Running into the same issue in Michigan. Had two buddies lined up for a party hunt in WY for goats. One dropped out on the last day of application, which screwed our application strategy. Backup plan was for OTC Elk in MT or CO. I bought my tag and same guys have both backed out again. Now I'm up against the decision to go it alone for the first western trip, or tag soup without even going into the woods.. Guess if everyone did what they talked about the woods would be a lot more full, so I guess it is a blessing in the end.

I'd go, and those guys would never be involved with any of my plans from there on out. Good luck!

I wouldn't let a partner (or lack thereof) alter my hunt plans to the extent I didn't go.

If you are up for spike hunting, Ill be doing the OTC spike hunt in SE Utah this year. Will be my first time hunting Utah, but already have found some elk

Wyler,

Not sure how I missed your post but if I had seen it before I bought my Any Bull tag we both might have a hunting partner. Sorry and Good luck.

I wouldn't let a partner (or lack thereof) alter my hunt plans to the extent I didn't go.

JLS,

No worries, I'm going either way. I already bought the tag plus a anlerless tag as well so it's a done deal that I'm going.

To be honest I don't know exactly but I would count on it being mountainous. Also I haven't definitely decided on a specific unit so that will play a factor of course.

It varies wildly, most the places elk are at it is mountainous but they also go down into the flatter areas on certain units or certain times of the year. SE Utah like the La Sals are smaller mountain ranges but still can get really steep and thick. Where the better any bull areas are would be the Uintas which run east to west and can get really rugged in certain areas. It's all beautiful country.

I'd sure be looking for different partners. I'm to cheap to eat a tag though, I would have to go whatever and enjoy the beautiful country if nothing else.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back