Yeti GOBOX Collection

Missing Crazy Mountain Hiker/hunter

Even from the limited info in the paper ("a steep, rocky chute") I have to wonder if I was there. I tried to hike into Cave Lake last August. You take a USFS trail about the first five miles and then have to bushwhack the last four up a steep-sided drainage with lots of talus slopes. There was a pretty well defined user trail I followed. Maybe two thirds of the total distance to the lake, the user trail just disappeared. Looked like an avalanche or rock slide had just wiped it off the face of the mountain. I thought about trying to find my way across, but after a few tentative steps I watched a dislodged rock bounce down the face and sail off into the abyss to the main creek canyon below I turned around and bagged the trip and haven't tried it again. Hearing about this poor guy both my wife and I immediately thought that it could have happened at that same spot.

Very sad and scary - just a reminder not to take anything for granted out there. I've heard/read many stories of how sketchy that range can be. They aren't called the Crazies for nothin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back