Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

10A Idaho

ReversionToTheMean

Hi All

I drew a 10A-1X (extra Antlerless) tag this year and also have an regular deer tag. I've done some e-scouting and tried to follow Randy's tips from his e-scouting videos regarding burns, edges and disruptions and have a few waypoints saved on my OnXMaps to checkout. I plan on driving up to 10a in the next few weeks and wanted to utilize my time wisely. Over the past few years all of my reading / research has been geared toward mule deer spot and stock. With that said I have a few questions about the area and tactics for whitetail.

Is it too early to scout and should I wait until the weather moves the deer lower?

If I don't see any deer what other sign can I look for besides rubs, droppings and trails?

The 10A-1X tag has three seasons (see below). From everything I have read, many wait until November to hunt. I couldn't find any harvest stats for the archery season. Has anyone had any success during the archery season?

10A-1X (extra Antlerless)
Aug 30 - Sep 30 Archery only White-tailed deer only
Oct 10 - Dec 1 White-tailed deer only
Dec 2 - Dec 14 Muzzleloader only, White-tailed deer only

Should I purchase a Potlatch Recreation Permit?

It seems like pretty dense brush is possible to spot and stock?

I do not have an ATV. Is it still possible to get away from the roads and hunters?

What are the roads like in late November to early December?

Thanks

RTM

Back