Fishing after antelope hunt WY?

pikeman1

Coming out for 2 weeks to hunt antelope on October 1st. Would also like to do some fishing and rabbit hunting since we will be there awhile. We will be hunting units 8 and 9. Where are some spots to try for fish that we can use spinners as we don’t fly fish? Willing to drive some but don’t want to drive to the complete opposite side of the state. Thanks.

Depends on what species you want to target and you should have zero problems finding rabbits. Within a short drive of your antelope unit you have a couple lakes to choose from. Such as Wheatland 1, 2 and 3, Glendo, Greyrocks, Hawk Springs, and north of your unit you have Keyhole. Don't bother with Packer or Guernsey. Lots of high altitude lakes in the Snowy and Madre ranges and don't discount the Laramie range plains lakes. You are also within a day drive to Mile and Reef, damn good fishing on those parts of the river. Lots of choices, you just have to pick your poison. Hope you do well on the hunt and fishing! Attached is a Wyo fishing guide if you want to dig deeper.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Fishing/WGFD_FISHINGGUIDE.pdf

Depends on what species you want to target and you should have zero problems finding rabbits. Within a short drive of your antelope unit you have a couple lakes to choose from. Such as Wheatland 1, 2 and 3, Glendo, Greyrocks, Hawk Springs, and north of your unit you have Keyhole. Don't bother with Packer or Guernsey. Lots of high altitude lakes in the Snowy and Madre ranges and don't discount the Laramie range plains lakes. You are also within a day drive to Mile and Reef, damn good fishing on those parts of the river. Lots of choices, you just have to pick your poison. Hope you do well on the hunt and fishing! Attached is a Wyo fishing guide if you want to dig deeper.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Fishing/WGFD_FISHINGGUIDE.pdf

That's a bingo. Pick an area JL mentioned and you'll do great. Smaller creeks along the highways that have public access are also good. Some good sized trout can come out of a small stream.
You'll find walleye in some of those lakes too.

Hope you find some good water to ply your trade. The options are amazing each in their own way.

May I suggest pinching down the barbs on the treble hooks.....safer for catch/release, including your buddies ear or your thumb.

I am looking forward to trying this as well. I will be staying in Centennial the last week of September and plan on taking a couple days to fish/shed hunt. I really like the idea of the lakes up in the snowy range that are off the road. The ones I looked at right off snowy range rd a few years back were loaded with trout but had quite few folks fishing. There are a bunch of lakes off the road, almost too many to figure out where to start. I grew up trout fishing the NC mountains but haven't caught a trout since 2004 when I moved to the Midwest. Midwest fisherman are all about big wide whisker faced bottom dwellers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back