Caribou Gear

Gravelly Range Fires

Southern Elk

I'm sure some of you have been keeping up with the new fires (Wigwam & Monument) in the Gravelly Range in SW Montana. Our home was very close to being evacuated Sunday. Thankfully things are looking a little better the past couple of days. The fires however are burning a lot of ground. The forest service has closed at least half of the entire range. See attached pic. That's everything north of Standard Creek and all the way to the Ruby River to the west. If you were planning on hunting there, you may want to have a backup plan. We are only a couple of weeks away from the opener at this point and I don't know if they will open things up before then.

Attachments

• Fires.jpg
    Fires.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 591
Glad to hear things are turning for the better. Stay safe.

Thanks guys. It was touch and go for a day or two. The fire moved the opposite direction and saved homes and cabins in the process. Things could always change.

Glad to hear the fire turned for you, hopefully that will create a bit of back burn buffer and keep you safe. Evac for fire is scary, two summers ago we had MHP at the door recommending evacuation(not forcing at that point), trucks all loaded with the most important stuff, dogs leashed and ready, just had to kick the gates open and run horses out on our way out. Some of the coolest pilot work with with retardant drops finally stopped it 1/2 mile short of our place, within 1/8 of other places, those guys flying tankers on the deck and pulling up and gunning it to climb the ridge while dumping load have some serious testicle fortitude.....

Pray for rain! SW Montana and NW Montana have several fires and the smoke is getting really bad in many parts of MT. Can't wait for snow!

Southern Elk, I'm glad to hear you guys avoided evac. We hunt the Gravellys (camp in Clover Meadows). I just started hunting MT last year but a friend I hunt with has been hunting up in the Gravellys for years. We had big plans for a bivi hunt in some back country, but... our plans are changing big time. We're hoping that some areas nearby are going to be open but like you said, that area will likely be closed for a while. It's time to get back on OnXmaps and find some new ground. It's always fun to hunt a new spot so it should be a fun season.

-Mike

Southernelk - glad the wildfire missed your place and pray we get rain/snow soon. They can be disastrous to lives and homes. Take care.

Glad you're alright. Fires in your area impacted my opening day Antelope Archery hunt with the road closure into Wall Creek WMA. Sucked a little but, not as bad as worrying about your place getting torched. Hang in there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back