Having to change things up

Texasflatlander

Hello,

Ive only recently came across this forum and have found it to be loaded with information, so figured this would be a good place to ask for some advice.

This is my third year coming from Texas to Colorado for otc diy archery elk. First year got lucky drew a tag, no luck (big learning trip). Second year changed things up went and scouted for a week during July, found a new unit that had plenty of elk in. We left out for the last week of archery and were in elk, just couldn’t seal the deal. Still learning, but getting there. Now here we are year three, went again this July for a week, put boots on the ground found new ground and felt pretty confident about this upcoming season. The unit like I expected was very dry, but I managed to find a couple spots of water, that felt confident that would hold till September.

Flash forward to now and you guessed it there is a fire in the a bordering unit. They’ve already closed down a good section of road in the unit I planned to hunt. There is no sign of it being contained anytime soon and is predicting to not be till the middle of September. So this is forcing me to come up with a back up plan.

I’ve narrowed it down to a few units: 74,81,70,65. Leaning more to 74 from google earth it looks like some solid country. Nice, steep, with good cover, food, and water. I don’t want your spot, more than willing to find it the hard way. Just want to know if anyone has been around there lately. Is there as much water as the map shows? Is it dry like everywhere else? Is the pressure that bad mid-late September? I assume it’s like your typical otc unit, so plenty of recreation and hunters. We plan to backpack in 7 days and hit it hard. Is this a unit we can do that in? Any chance for a bear? We are all in pretty decent shape so we can get to the high country, will we need to worry about snow late September? Just a few random questions.

As for the other units, they seem like solid units good % and numbers, anyone have any thoughts on those as possible back ups. Also very open to others opinions. Just trying to plan ahead in case I can’t hunt in my #1 unit. Thanks in advance.

The south-central quarter of unit 74 burned this year, too. Just a heads up. 416 fire, make sure you check the extent of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back