Hey Weed guys

If the question is referring to the long stalked spikey looking outfit with a few residual petals.....
I'm thinking Prairie Clover - native and actually can be a valuable browse for critters - if that's what it is......
Can get to be invasive in some cases - from USDA lit.
See if I get any agreement??.....

Looks like a young hare barley. Hard to tell from the picture. However, at this stage roundup would be the best bet for any grassy weed. Not sure about the laws where you are but a landscaping supply may be able to sell you as the property owner something more strategic to put out before germination next year.

No Roundup. This is in my field, and is slowly choking out the grass. 2-4-D may work. It's a broadleaf I guess. Just looking to put a name to the stuff. mtmuley

Hard to tell, my guess is Timothy in bloom. Tough to tell from that far away in the picture.

Hard to tell, my guess is Timothy in bloom. Tough to tell from that far away in the picture.

golfer, it ain't Timothy. The plant I am referring to is the one with the seed pods on top of the stem. I'll post another pic tomorrow. If it helps, I'm in Montana. mtmuley

If you think it’s a broadleaf then try 2-4-D works the best in the fall I’m told by my chemical salesman. I would try a dose of that to start. An off brand is Triplet and works great on any broadleaf. Good luck

I’d throw 2,4D and milestone at it. 2,4-D is basically just an acid that burns everything down really hard. It doesn’t control many weeds, but it does kill a lot of general broadleaf plants for the year.

I thought this was a another "Why the cowboys will win the super bowl this year";)

P.s. 2,4-D mix a test, spray a small area in the heat and see what happens to grasses/broadleaf. Then apply at adjusted rate.

[video]https://www.grasshoppergardenservices.co.uk/images/easyblog_images/429/ribworm-plantain-Grasshopper-Garden-Services.jpg[/video]

Your picture looks more like ribworm plantain. The image is of a British garden plant.

Plantain as mentioned above in s few posts. My damn yard is full of it. 2-4D seems to knock it back when I use it but mowing it just seems to exacerbate the spread of seed crop.

Always heard it called English Plantain. I used Trimec Classic broadleaf herbicide to get rid of mine.
Make sure to use a good surfactant in order to get the best result and most bang for your buck.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Now I can go about getting rid of it. Five acres worth. Brockel, I irrigate all summer so it's green all the time. Thanks again. mtmuley

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back